AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CENTRAL AIR PUMP

Registered Member

Default Re: CENTRAL AIR PUMP

Very nice Kenny....what size air pump do you plan to use?

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Registered Member

My own experiences with my central air pump and with other pipe/pressure/flow applications tells me that once the distribution pipe is big enough, bigger doesn't make it better.

OTOH, for people who can use rigid pvc and have lots of outlets, the price delta between 3/4" and 1" is small enough that there's little reason to not use the larger size.

I'll agree with what's been said about the necessity of bleeding off excess air and the benefit of a loop distribution system when it's reasonable to do things that way...

you are absolutely right about the price difference between 3/4 and 1" being very minimal.......will certainly put the bigger pipe in, as you can always bleed out the excess air if necessarly no matter what size pump you use....
    Last edited by dean9922; 05-21-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    Very nice Kenny....what size air pump do you plan to use?

-Ryan
    Thanks Ryan, i have an LP80 for the main pump and if needed an LP60. I tried to run two branches of the air pipe in case i need more air or a pump goes down. I will be able to divert the air with ball valves to both sections of the loops.

I am running 1" piping. i found it is a lot easier to drill the air fittings into 1" pipe vs.3/4" since the diameter is larger. i do not think there is much difference in air pressure between them. You would know way better them me though

Hope all is going well at AquaticEco systems. I placed an order there on Monday.

Kenny

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dean9922 View Post
    will certainly put the bigger pipe in, as you can always bleed out the excess air if necessarly no matter what size pump you use....
    The quantity of air in a pipe has no effect on the system, it's the extra pressure that needs to bleed off. Larger pipe and larger radius bends will improve airflow, up to a point, but, in general, the reason to use larger pipe is it's easier to drill and tap for a valve.

Jeff

Registered Member

Just getting into this myself here and a few questions here..
    Closed loop or End Caps, what difference does it make as long as you have
    one of the small Valves here slightly open in order NOT to have any back pressure since It's basically bleeding off here..
    3/4 or 1 inch PVC size wise yes, little easier maybe to drill the taps but....
    I have a new Diaphram pump that I am going to be setting up here and I know I have too much pump here for the amount of Tanks/ Filters ( Sponges btw) but I just thought if I just install a few more Valves here and slightly open up one of them to release pressure, I'm good to go either way. ??

Quote Originally Posted by markstr View Post
    Just getting into this myself here and a few questions here..
    Closed loop or End Caps, what difference does it make as long as you have
    one of the small Valves here slightly open in order NOT to have any back pressure since It's basically bleeding off here..
    3/4 or 1 inch PVC size wise yes, little easier maybe to drill the taps but....
    I have a new Diaphram pump that I am going to be setting up here and I know I have too much pump here for the amount of Tanks/ Filters ( Sponges btw) but I just thought if I just install a few more Valves here and slightly open up one of them to release pressure, I'm good to go either way. ??
    i run closed loops for a few reasons. first is air balance, by having the piping so there are no dead ends, you deliver equal pressure to all valves. It is easier on the pump. in a closed loop you can add additional pumps if needed without having to redo your whole piping system. the manufacture recommend the closed loop design.you can adjust your system to bleed off and limit back pressure without having to tune and adjust every valve. IMO this type of system is for a fish room with 20 + tanks where you are using a large volume of air.

Kenny

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dean9922 View Post
    Thanks Acroken
    that's an awesome idea to vent the unused air to the storage water....I like that!!!! Also, a very impressive set-up!!!!!
    the only draw back to venting the extra air to water storage containers is when the water level goes up and down, when the water level is high in the container it has back pressure and all the other open valves in the sysytem are not affected but when the water level drops down to the bottom you may see a pressure drop in the whole system causeing some of the deeper tanks to stop getting enough air or non at all

Quote Originally Posted by AirCapital View Post
    the only draw back to venting the extra air to water storage containers is when the water level goes up and down, when the water level is high in the container it has back pressure and all the other open valves in the sysytem are not affected but when the water level drops down to the bottom you may see a pressure drop in the whole system causeing some of the deeper tanks to stop getting enough air or non at all
    i have never had any problems with this set up. i could see that as a problem if you only had one bleeder and one storage container. As stated this is a set up for multiple 20+ tanks. The question was about loop or dead ends and the manufacture calls for loops. Any air/water/filter system on multiple systems is going to require some creative design and tweaking.

Kenny

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    i have never had any problems with this set up. i could see that as a problem if you only had one bleeder and one storage container. As stated this is a set up for multiple 20+ tanks. The question was about loop or dead ends and the manufacture calls for loops. Any air/water/filter system on multiple systems is going to require some creative design and tweaking.

Kenny
    ok I wasnt trying to say you where wrong or it didnt work , just a point of veiw thats all. unless the water storage container is the same depth as your tank I would think there will be a pressure difference, if the air line leading to the water container has a air stone or a drip valve on it to create back pressure when the container is empty it may not make a big difference.
    I have a airline going into my water container also and when it is empty I notice a slight drop on overall air pressure through out the system even more so on the deeper tanks. I also have a bleed off valve also that is crack open quit abit to reduce wear and heat on my pump, if i closed the ball valve more and added pressure I may not have the pressure drop when empty but then my pump would last as long.
    Last edited by AirCapital; 08-13-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Registered Member

Here's some Pictures here and would like to get an Idea from others on this set up. Jehmco ph 30 on the Pump .. 20 or so Sponge filters..
    Was going to run the 1 inch PVC Straight up to the ceiling here and then
    How to Branch off Correctly is my main concern here. Not sure how I would incorporate a "Closed Loop in this case .
    A large Tank on the Right and then I have my others here on the left side.
    2 Different Valves here ( Which one would be recommended to blow off excess air here and where to put it ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AirCapital View Post
    Correct. Ideal situation is to run the storage tank on it's on air system. Deeper water requires more pressure to push air...this backpressure would push more air towards the other air lines, while reducing volume to the deeper storage tank.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123