ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your hobby distracting you?

Registered Member

Default Is your hobby distracting you?

It's almost a year since I got into this hobby (plants+fish). I am getting distracted @work and @home. Whenever I have some time, I go online for hobby related info. I know there is a learning curve for fish, plants, water, equipments and diseases. But, I wonder what happens down the road - say 5 years, 10 years etc.

So, here's the question for you experienced folks out there.

Do you still get distracted?
    On average, how much time do you spend weekly on your hobby?
    55 Gal, Eheim 2213, Rena XP3, Hydor 300 Watts, 2X54 Watt T5 HO, Press CO2
    1 Discus, 4 Mollies, 1 Platy, 1 Zebra Danio, 6 Tetras, 1 Pleco, Lots of Plants

Default Re: Is your hobby distracting you?

Are you kidding? LOL!!!
    Kacey

Dude, the wife thinks I'm having an affair with the fish, the internet, Simply! I'm on Simply when I'm awake, doesn't matter if I am at home or work. If I am at home, its a constant keeping of the fish, which makes my day worth while. I feed them all day, clean all the tanks, prep all the new water and its the same with each passing day. What do you think? Distracted or determined?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

what eddie said
    sounds like you need to quit the job move out of the house and get a 70x50 building and set up more tanks

Dude its all worth it after u see your school of discus moving from one part of tank to other part.
    65 gallon w 7 discus,1 albino pleco
    10 gallon qt tanK
    very happy to be back to discus
    www.arjunpun.com

Talking Re: Is your hobby distracting you?

Does being completely new at this and actually contemplating putting up a video feed so that I can watch them while I am work count?

Mishka

Quote Originally Posted by chaoslite View Post
    Does being completely new at this and actually contemplating putting up a video feed so that I can watch them while I am work count?

Mishka

That would be awesome! Could you just imagine how understanding your partner would be if they bought the equipment and set it up for you as a gift. Dreams......just dreams. LOL
    Visit Eddie's Place

To To Funny Eddie and Chaoslite.....I'm still amazed you can go from one tank a year ago and have multi tanks and a fish room a year later...lol
    Also, if the partner really loves you, they should do that for you........lol
    Last edited by dean9922; 05-07-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Dude, the wife thinks I'm having an affair with the fish, the internet, Simply! I'm on Simply when I'm awake, doesn't matter if I am at home or work. If I am at home, its a constant keeping of the fish, which makes my day worth while. I feed them all day, clean all the tanks, prep all the new water and its the same with each passing day. What do you think? Distracted or determined?

Eddie
    Eddie, you must be on simply when you're asleep as well!

Distraction is a wonderful thing! Taken in moderation of course.

I work at an internet service provider. I work with geeks that would do it for me, but I am trying to refrain?

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Eddie, you must be on simply when you're asleep as well!

Distraction is a wonderful thing! Taken in moderation of course.

Definitely Steve, most definitely. I do dream of discus.....doing water changes. LOL Just kidding!
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Let's see, a year and a half ago I had one 72 bowfront. A year later I added a 55 to separate my 3 non-spawning discus and divided the four that were. Then one of the 3 none spawners started laying huge clusters of eggs, I sold the two remaining none spawners, and paid IMO big bucks to get a 99% sure male shipped in to have three pairs. That of course meant I need to get a 10 gallon QT. Then the 72 sprung a leak and I bought an emergency 29 and replaced the 72. Of course even though I've tried unsuccessfully to repair the 72 twice it's still sitting in the basement for a third try sometime. Now being on my third batch of fry I really want to quit dividing tanks and having to worry about fry getting to "the dark side" of the divider, so I just bought a used 26 bowfront off Craigslist. Lets see, that's one, two, three, four, five soon to be active tanks plus one leaker. I'm working on plans for a fishroom in the basement as I really want to get the two tanks and the BBS making bucket out of the guestroom. Distraction, what distraction? It's either work, fish, eat, or sleep, no distractions. Oh, did I mention I seem to be getting about 2 hours less sleep a night than I use to? Did I mention I have a wife? I still do have a wife don't I? Hang on...yup, there's a woman sleeping in my bed while I'm up feeding bbs.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

It has been 39 years of fish keeping distraction for me! It began when I was just a kid! Now, with a 125 gal. tank of discus it is extra pleasantly distracting. The only time I don't enjoy it is when I know I need to do a wc and can't due to being away or almost asleep.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I'm single, don't have children and enjoy my job so the amount of time I spend on my discus hobby isn't a problem. I think when spouses, and particularly children, are in the picture, then the hobbyist needs to think carefully about his priorities.

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

for most people (myself included) i think this infatuation phase passes and you eventually reach a happy medium.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast