ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your hobby distracting you?

Registered Member

Default Re: Is your hobby distracting you?

Quote Originally Posted by CTD View Post
    I can not get Discus out of my mind even when asleep, I have them in my dreams. and I spend 99% of my online time on Discus related sites.
    agreed with him.. after those horrible things happened to me.. i never let the discus off my mind.. i always think of them and trying to put things together.. and gladly that i am back on track.. now, i have 15 juveniles and loving taking care of them..

this is addiction..

Real Name
    Walter

Hmmm.... I guess I'm guilty since when I go traveling around in East Asia on vacation, I have "visit discus breeder" as a "must do" item on my lists of things to do.

Walter
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    Just be careful that you don't use fish like a drug or any other addiction. Do not use fish to escape from the realities of life. I pretty much altogether stopped posting in any forum. Sometimes I browse like this morning and saw this post - felt it was worth posting in. And with the fish themselves I look at the tank for 10 minutes or so then move on with something else in the home. I'll come back to the tank for a few minutes monitor the situation but that's about it. I had to be honest with myself and realize that the so called "fish hobby" of mine was some sort of crutch. It can happen and I bet it's happening to more people then you may think. I bet some people are even justifying their addiction by saying things like - I don't gamble anymore, or drink anymore, or cheat anymore, or ___ ____ ___, anymore. But you don't replace one addiction with another. And, you don't deal with your relationship problems by looking at fish all day. Just felt like posting this after being in the hobby real hard for a few years and checking people out and their behaviours. So my answer is NOPE! My fish hobby is no longer distracting me at all. I enjoy them when I can on my terms.

Edit: Oh, and let me say this too - if you're spending tons of money on fish and you work for a living - perhaps you should really re-evaluate the situtation.
    I think if people wanna spend there money on expensive fish, let them.. Its there money, and from the looks of it ALOT of people are.. its just your opinion, which only matters to you. Weather people spend there money on fish, boats, cars, animals, tattoo's, music or any other hobby, there gonna spend it somewhere some how. If they have the money, let them do as they please. No one has the right to tell someone else how to run there life or that they need to re-evaluate there situation.. Its a hobby and nothing more, not even a way of life.. And you said dont deal with your relationship problems by looking at fish, well i think if you use common sense, you'll see that will only make things worse. And who does that anyways... ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by machine77 View Post
    I think if people wanna spend there money on expensive fish, let them.. Its there money, and from the looks of it ALOT of people are.. its just your opinion, which only matters to you. Weather people spend there money on fish, boats, cars, animals, tattoo's, music or any other hobby, there gonna spend it somewhere some how. If they have the money, let them do as they please. No one has the right to tell someone else how to run there life or that they need to re-evaluate there situation.. Its a hobby and nothing more, not even a way of life.. And you said dont deal with your relationship problems by looking at fish, well i think if you use common sense, you'll see that will only make things worse. And who does that anyways... ha ha
    Wow! From somebody who got his first discus...last month?

Registered Member

I think the point of this discussion was just to chat. Let's stop taking things so seriously. Everyone has plenty of hobbies and they choose their priorities, can we just go back to joking around about our significant others?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by setarei View Post
    I think the point of this discussion was just to chat. Let's stop taking things so seriously. Everyone has plenty of hobbies and they choose their priorities, can we just go back to joking around about our significant others?
    +1
    55 Gal, Eheim 2213, Rena XP3, Hydor 300 Watts, 2X54 Watt T5 HO, Press CO2
    1 Discus, 4 Mollies, 1 Platy, 1 Zebra Danio, 6 Tetras, 1 Pleco, Lots of Plants

Registered Member

+2

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Wow! From somebody who got his first discus...last month?
    ha ha.. To clear the air, my first discus was not last month. Ive had discus for many years so.....

And MY significant other, bless her heart, admitted to me when I returned from a business trip, that she had OVERFILLED my 125 during a water change! But she cleaned it up, and how could I ever be angry ? ? ? Hey, she was doing the water changes ! ! !

She said she got distracted, and then she heard water spilling, sort of frowned, and then OMG, ran into the dining room, and HANDLED IT LIKE A PRO.

Now, that's what I call a SIGNIFICANT other!!!

Registered Member

Ya that just happened to my husband. Except it was a few gallons of water, on carpet... The room doesn't smell so fresh even though we cleaned it up good. Will get a carpet cleaner today and try that.

+8
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Umm apparently we can't do math as a collective group. Oh well... It makes it seem like more people agree with which always feels good

Umm apparently we can't do math as a collective group. Oh well... It makes it seem like more people agree with which always feels good

LOL, I fgured I'd just add 8 to the existing number.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by machine77 View Post
    She ran outside to say hi to a neighbor, i quickly added it to the mix and whipped it up really good.. I have not used this befor, but i thought it would work great. When she came back i told her i bet the fish will love your motherly touch in there food and she laughed and said, Nolan, there just fish, they wont tell, i said just watch, i bet they can taste the love you put into it.... When it came time to feed them, i said, drop this in there and lets see if they like your food. The fish MURDERED it! I was like WOW.. look at that. Shes like, man they really like that stuff i made.. Now she makes all the seafood mix. I convienced her that she does a better job at it then me.. And she knows how much i like my fish.. The words out of her mouth where something like, GOD DAMMIT! ha ha
    Thanks prime reef and formula one!

Nolan
    Thats CRAFTY !! lol
    Just dont tell her

im stilling the idea
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Registered Member kitykatfunkiehat's Avatar

What does it take to get your significatn other to do water changes for you?!
    I would love if he did it, but I get too paranoid he'd do it wrong or mess it up somehow. I like to do it myself so that I know it is being done correctly..which is how I've always been with everything I guess. haha
    -Jenna-

55g & 29g

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast