ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ... even a year later ...

Default ... even a year later ...

It's time I updated some pictures of my Heckels since I first posted some (sorry I am lazy).

I've had to downsize the number of tanks I have (this is always a difficult one) and restrict myself to the number if fish I keep. I had planned some bigger tanks this year but it never happened due to life getting in the way.
    I wouldn't have any tanks at all if it wasn't for the dedication of my fiancé, who has taken as much to me as to discus !!!

The fish I have left are doing exceptionally well. I have a spawning couple of brown Tucuruï, whom I've had for nine years and have decided this year to go on a spawning spree (there's always something new with WC's).As for the Hcekels, well my population is down to 7 individuals.

Heckel population :
    2 Rio Abacaxis (approx. 8 years old)
    1 Nhamunda (approx. 4 years old)
    1 Mari Mari (approx. 2years old)
    3 Rio Pauini (Rio Unini ?) from this year because I really had to get some !

[IMG][/IMG]

IMG]http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/erikceckelm/Heckel%20Mai%202010/P1020540.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Default Re: ... even a year later ...

Gorgeous heckels Erik! Love the fully striated ones!

Thanks for updating and take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks Eddie, you wouldn't believe what fun such a mixed group is!!

When are you going to get some Heckels ?

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by erikc View Post
    Thanks Eddie, you wouldn't believe what fun such a mixed group is!!

When are you going to get some Heckels ?

Take care,

Time my friend, in time. I will definitely look into getting some from Watanabe when the time comes.

Take care and all the best!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by erikc View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    Fantastic group , the blue on them is amazing!! I love these 2 in the middle
    , are they the oldest ? 8-9 years my gosh !! u must be doing great job on them
    well done Erikc!
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Quote Originally Posted by vera View Post
    Fantastic group , the blue on them is amazing!! I love these 2 in the middle
    , are they the oldest ? 8-9 years my gosh !! u must be doing great job on them
    well done Erikc!
    Thanks Vera, Heckels are the kind of discus you get really attached to !

The oldest ones are the ones with the darkest eyes, light gray striations, brown/oilve body base, they are from the Abacaxis river, both on the right hand side in the picture.

P.S. The two big Heckels in the middle are from the Abacaxis and Nhamunda, they are a couple.
    Last edited by erikc; 05-10-2010 at 07:22 AM.

"ve got to love these !
    do u have wood in their tank or just sand ? and their diet ? my juv love FBW only it seems
    TC
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Quote Originally Posted by vera View Post
    "ve got to love these !
    do u have wood in their tank or just sand ? and their diet ? my juv love FBW only it seems
    TC
    When I have new Heckels I always have some wood in the tank (it helps them acclimatise), then take it away. A light layer of sand is a must (these fish are nervous enough as it is), it is part of their eating habit to slowly drift over patches of sand, blow gently into a chosen spot and eat any morsel of food that presents itself. Whan newly acquired they very rarely take to sinking or floating food and prefer grazing of the bottom.

To begin with Heckels always readily accept FBW, but you will have to slowly blend other foods in their diet. I also feed the Tetra discus pellets, Prime Reef Flakes (their favourite), Spirilina pellets and flakes etc... A varied diet (along with correct water conditions) is the key to success. I do not feed any BH, I do not want to start any controversy about this, this is just the feeding regime for these fish !

Lovely fish and that's for sharing your feeding regimen.

Robert

Ah beautiful heckels you have, you are really doing a splendid job to have them for 9 years, now thats a record as far as I know of.

Heckels are my favorite, its the prominent bar and the purple, blu-ish background (violet?) that makes it look even more amazing!

good job
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Registered Member kitykatfunkiehat's Avatar

The colors on these guys are amazing! And they all have such beautiful fins. Wow. I can't believe some are 8 years old!
    -Jenna-

55g & 29g

Hi Erik,

Your Heckels are very lovely and keeping the older fish for 8-9 years says about everything with regard to their care, water chemistry and diets.

I know Heckels can acquire a taste for a good beef heart blend and I did feed it to mine sometimes but never very often. Mainly as a treat to add a bit more diversity to their diet but beef heart's real value is in raising large numbers of domestic discus as soon as you can to reach the salable size but I even though I use it for that purpose, I do not think it is the best of all possible foods for any Discus let alone Heckels.
    Larry Waybright

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    Hi Erik,

Your Heckels are very lovely and keeping the older fish for 8-9 years says about everything with regard to their care, water chemistry and diets.

I know Heckels can acquire a taste for a good beef heart blend and I did feed it to mine sometimes but never very often. Mainly as a treat to add a bit more diversity to their diet but beef heart's real value is in raising large numbers of domestic discus as soon as you can to reach the salable size but I even though I use it for that purpose, I do not think it is the best of all possible foods for any Discus let alone Heckels.
    Thank you for the complement.

I am just sharing my experiences and what has worked for me. A varied diet is the most important factor in keeping wilds as Heiko Bleher clearly underlines in his book.

I do not have many tanks so I can afford to experiment with high quality industrial food brands, making my own food is not cost effective. I have found that over the past decade or so, brand names are making more tailored foods for specific ecological niches (rift lakes, vegeteraian, discus, marine etc.) and it is using a combination of these foods that I have managed to keep my wilds healthy and thriving. I know I can not compete with the variety and abundance of the amazon, but finding a balanced diet that suits these unique fish is essential.

I am looking forward to what information Hudson will share from his experience in discus eating habits.

Registered Member

Hi ErikC- Those are beautiful heckels - can I ask who you bought it from and how much can I expect to pay for Mari Mari/Abaxci? thx

Quote Originally Posted by sfdiscus View Post
    Hi ErikC- Those are beautiful heckels - can I ask who you bought it from and how much can I expect to pay for Mari Mari/Abaxci? thx
    Thanks, these are part of a collection and did not come from one specific seller.

What you have to understand is, yes, you can buy some beautifull heckels, but without the proper care they will never show their true colours. Most Heckels will slowly perish if not kept in their optimum conditions with the appropriate diet.

Why I can't condone the sudden interest in Heckels and the fact that more and more people are trying to keep them, I do regret the fact that it appears to me that hobbyists are going for the "eye candy" effect that a properly kept Heckel has. However people are not aware of how different these fish are from normal discus and they are clearly not a begginers fish.

Do not mix them with other discus, give them a varied diet with lots of vegetable matter (I use high quality commercial foods), I don't feed mine BH (this is my opinion and mine only), have an over dimensioned biological filtration system and be prepared to make your own RO. Using this method I only change the water in my tanks at a 20% weekly rate (again this is what I do and not a golden rule). With younger fish I add mineral salts to the water.

Some of the Heckels I have are over 8 years and they have slowly flourished in my keep. From non-descript to the colourfull fish that you see above. It is an extermely rewarding hobby and I do find the Heckels so different from the other discus species.

In all honesty, all I can say is a bad misquote from someone I read " If you want to keep heckels, forget all you know about discus" !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast