ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How many Juvies?

Default How many Juvies?

How many 2"-3" discus can I keep in a 100 gallon tank and at what size should I look at moving some out to another tank to end up with the rule 1 fish per 10 gallons?

Default Re: How many Juvies?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    How many 2"-3" discus can I keep in a 100 gallon tank and at what size should I look at moving some out to another tank to end up with the rule 1 fish per 10 gallons?
    10 adults but thats discus only, no other fish or ornamentation. Otherwise the number should be reduced to the amount of water available, not tank size.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I have 8 adults(6inch) in 75 gal planted , they are doing great , but comparing to the size of the tank estheticly dont appeal- they look too big for space ..
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Quote Originally Posted by vera View Post
    I have 8 adults(6inch) in 75 gal planted , they are doing great , but comparing to the size of the tank estheticly dont appeal- they look too big for space ..

Yes yes Vera but you are to discus like Maria Sharapova is to tennis...a CHAMP.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Yes yes Vera but you are to discus like Maria Sharapova is to tennis...a CHAMP.
    lol
    ah Eddie u are so kind .. must be Japan - we all shall move there
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

10 adults but thats discus only, no other fish or ornamentation. Otherwise the number should be reduced to the amount of water available, not tank size.

Eddie
    I know the rule of thumb is 1 adult fish per 10 gallons which is what my goal is but does that apply for juvies also? I have 12 2"-3" discus right now in a 92 gallon corner tank running on two sunsun canister filters 2000/L per hour with UV lighting. I was wanting to get as many as possible at a small size and as they grow larger I don't know maybe around 4" start moving some over to a 130 gallon tank so when I am all done it will be 1 adult per 10 gallons or 23 discus between the two tanks. According to that www.tankadvisor.com website I have seen people talk about on here it says with my filters and tank 12 discus has my tank at a 98% load. Which I have read on here people saying with the frequent water changes with discus you can go up to around 120% to 140% load on the tank. Just wondering what my options are here

Registered Member

I think if the discus are 2" juvies, you could put 2 dozen in your 100 g tank and start growing them out. Over-Filtering the tank is good advice anyhow, but especially when growing out a bunch of babies. When they are about 3.5 inches, I would divide them between the tanks. That should work fine. Remember, clean water, clean water, clean water is 1/2 of the key. The other is to feed optimal foods to promote growth and robust health. Use prefilter sponges on your filters and clean them every 2 days or so, wipe down the tank 1-2 x week. Stay on top of the maintanence and you will have great looking happy discus...and they will have a happy discus hobbyist to show off for! BUY HIGH QUALITY FISH TO START WITH or you will for ever after wish you had done so!
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    I think if the discus are 2" juvies, you could put 2 dozen in your 100 g tank and start growing them out. Over-Filtering the tank is good advice anyhow, but especially when growing out a bunch of babies. When they are about 3.5 inches, I would divide them between the tanks. That should work fine. Remember, clean water, clean water, clean water is 1/2 of the key. The other is to feed optimal foods to promote growth and robust health. Use prefilter sponges on your filters and clean them every 2 days or so, wipe down the tank 1-2 x week. Stay on top of the maintanence and you will have great looking happy discus...and they will have a happy discus hobbyist to show off for! BUY HIGH QUALITY FISH TO START WITH or you will for ever after wish you had done so!
    Best regards,
    Harriett
    Thanks Harriet just what I was wanting to hear. I do 60% to 90% daily WC with aged water and feed four times a day right now. So far I have discus from Rocky Mountain Discus and Hans. I clean my canister filters once a month and wipe the inside of the tank down at that time also.

Sure, you can load a 90 gallon with tons of juives but they will grow up eventually. Do you have the space to remove a dozen adults to another tank?
    Visit Eddie's Place

Sure, you can load a 90 gallon with tons of juives but they will grow up eventually. Do you have the space to remove a dozen adults to another tank?
    That is why I was wanting to load it up now with small juvies so as they are growing I can get my other tank set and going so when they reach that size I will already have the tank ready for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    That is why I was wanting to load it up now with small juvies so as they are growing I can get my other tank set and going so when they reach that size I will already have the tank ready for them.

Sure but things happen, unless I had another tank already, I wouldn't be planning on getting one down the road, after the fish outgrow the first one.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Sure but things happen, unless I had another tank already, I wouldn't be planning on getting one down the road, after the fish outgrow the first one.
    I haven't bought any more fish yet was just trying to do some planning first. I guess I better get to work on another tank first then