ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC, South of Raleigh

Registered Member

Default NC, South of Raleigh

Anyone anyone? Use to be a cool guy I bought from Tim Thimios, some of the rarest strains I saw in Monroe, he's long gone. Nothing else here since then... I have kept discus since 1988-89

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: NC, South of Raleigh

I live in New Bern. Our son lives in Raleigh.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by KelDiscus View Post
    Anyone anyone? Use to be a cool guy I bought from Tim Thimios, some of the rarest strains I saw in Monroe, he's long gone. Nothing else here since then... I have kept discus since 1988-89
    Eric Lacroix is near Tim, but Eric's been scaling back his discus.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

If you're looking for some fish, contact Eric - I think he still has a few left, based on this post (he travels a lot though, so he might be slow to get back to you if you PM him):
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=78715

Walter
    Walter

Registered Member

I am in Northern NC, 30mins North of Greensboro....are we really that few in NC???

John

Not many John. I am about 5 hrs. south east of you, near the beach, New Bern. Ever go to FishFishFish in Plymouth NC? Lots of folks from the Raleigh area shop there, well worth the drive. And you should see their saltwater rooms! The best lfs I have ever been in.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

There are people with discus scattered around the state, but not too many that take it seriously. I've found a lot of people buy poor quality LFS fish, and throw them in their community tanks, without a clue how a quality fish should look. Most don't really seem to care either. I guess the same is true in other places as well.
    Darrell

Registered Member

I had a HARD time finding Discus when I first got interested about 6mos ago, ended up doing myself a favor and getting them from Hans here in the forums. It does look like we are a minority fish loving group here in NC. It's a shame really, I have only seen Discus in 2 stores in a 100mile radius, Lynchburg Va and Kernersville, NC. None of them looked that great and all were EXPENSIVE! I have not been to any stores in Raleigh though so I can't say anything about them. I don't even have a local LFS any where close. There was 1 in Danville Va, but it does not have any fish right now (moved to a new store and cant get the plumbing put in) The next closest for me is Greensbor or Burlington and neither have much. I do have a community tank, but it was set up for the discus as primary. I have 2 coreys, 10 tetra dither fish and 2 clown loach's (had a snail problem with some of my plants) but everything was put in place for the Discus.

John

Registered Member

Us NC Guys/Gals ought to stay together. So few, I have heard of a guy on the Coast that uses rainwater. Sounds like he breeds from our conversation. Been a little while though... I use to know a guy in Charlotte, 2 of them that sold discus. Fairly nice ones...

As for other fish, NC is not big big on it! Though there are a few dedicated fellows. A guy in the same town I live in of about 20 thousand picked up a breeder pair off me in 09 I think it was....and had gone to Hans in Baltimore.... People get into it, out of it. Fewer come on-line. Someone locally buys my Discus second hand, but I've never found him a Doctor. If anyone is in the Sand Hills region let me know.

I'm in the Virginia Beach, VA area, pretty close to NC. We have a really huge/nice fish store that usually has discus called Animal Jungle. I went in today and they had a beautiful pair of red turqs that were HUGE...then I went to look at the rest of their stock, and besides their wilds which are pretty nice, the rest really looked bad which was a surprise. They usually have high quality discus, and the ones I saw were stunted hardcore. Depressing. But other than that place, I am having a really hard time finding discus myself. I was looking into visiting Hans, but since he had to euthanize all his fish he doesn't allow visitors

I am a long time very dedicated fish keeper, now have a 125 with adult discus and a 75 with fancy angels. Both tanks planted, with wood. I am not doing any discus breeding at present (have in past) but you NC hobbyists are welcome to visit if you are on your way to Atlantic Beach, we are 30 mi. west of the ocean. I love to talk fish! Just send me a pm.
    Barb

Anybody want to come for a "discus social" at my home? I live just 30 miles inland from Atlantic Beach, right off HWY 70 E. I know there are several SD members in NC. I offer to host a get-together here if there are several folks interested. I have lots of fish to see, indoors and out. Just post here if interested and I will see what I can arrange.
    Barb

Even though it is a 10 hour drive (with a heavy foot) it is tempting. I've probably been within a stones throw of you house a hundred times. My family started going to Ocracoke 51 years ago when I was six years old. It is so much a part of my soul that I can smell the salt in the air, hear the cry of the gulls and feel the splash of the waves against my legs 500 miles away. For the last 25 years or so I made the trip with my parents every October to go surf fishing for a week. I haven't been back in a few years and really miss it!!! I can't do it now but one of these days I would really like to take you up on that offer and stop on my way for a visit. You guys who live within a couple hours of Barb should make this happen. Spend the day at Atlantic Beach with the family or friends and then meet at Barb's for a Discus social. What a great time that would be!
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

I would love to get out there....can't do it right now though, going to Phoenix the first of Sept and then driving around Cali. for a week with the kids. Would love to do at a later date though, we enjoy heading to the beach in cooler weather!

John

Hey Larry and John, the Fall is just beautiful here (most years anyway) so maybe we can have a get-together in Oct or Nov. Keep in touch and hopefully some others will join in too. Thanks for replying!
    Barb

Registered Member

I'm from NC Albemarle about a hour from charlotte. Been keeping discus about 17 months and have 2 pair that I'm breeding still working on it and learning I have had some beautiful rose reds come out of some batches and have sold a few to people . But I'm still learning would love to join a group where we could get together and talk discus . I need to learn more . This is the first hobby I've had that I've taken so serious and lasted more than a year and I really love it . This web site has been such a blessing too I learned a lot without it I don't think I would be still doing it and my fish would probley be dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast