AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saving eggs and going it alone?

Registered Member

Default saving eggs and going it alone?

Ok so a while ago I posted a pic of my leopards and a net over their eggs. The female is a big time egg eater. Well they look like they are getting ready to have another go so I was wondering without having to troll through pages of posts:

Q: At what point can you take the eggs away from the spawning site?

I was thinking about the very next day if there are any left. once removed from the spawning site such as intake tube. They have a huge flower pot but prefer the intake tube. Anyway I then remove them gently by hand and place them into a breeding net thing that is a plastic box with netting around the outside. This can sit on the edge of the tank anywhere I like.

So in here they would sit with minimal water flow. Then they hatch and here the work starts.

Q: What do you feed them on and how do you make it and administer it to the fry? I guess it must be a slime coat replacement feed.

I am guessing that the first week is the hardest and once on BBS then its almost home free.

I am thinking this because the eggs that go white also infect the other fertilized eggs as mum usually eats them all and dad trys to save them all so I was thinking I could remove the white ones and hope for the best...

I would set up a fry saver thing you see on Utube eventually and go from there.

I think dad is not great at fertilizing and only gets half done which could be why mum eats them. He gets upset and I have waited for them to have a fair crack at it so I may have a go? This would be attempt 15 ish??

Thoughts/ideas/comments??

Thanks

Grant

Default Re: saving eggs and going it alone?

Artificial rearing is a pretty tough way to go. What happened when you put a cone guard over the intake? I don't think white eggs infect healthy, fertilized eggs. This might be useful for artificial rearing:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ght=artificial
    If you do a search for artificial, you will find a lot of material.

Grant,

+1

Here's another article I found that might also help. Goodluck!!!

http://www.discuspro.com/breeding1.htm

Registered Member

hey guys thanks for the info. I did do a search last night and you are right there is a tonne of info! Sounds like a big job and I actually have a job so it may not be a ood way to go.

Lat time the eggs went white and fluffy so I took off the guard and let the parents eat the eggs.

They always eat them :-(

Quote Originally Posted by grantbudd74 View Post
    Lat time the eggs went white and fluffy so I took off the guard and let the parents eat the eggs.

They always eat them :-(
    It doesn't sound like the problem is that the parents eat the eggs. It sounds like the eggs are not being fertilized. Have they ever hatched out any fry? Have you seen him make passes over the eggs?

Registered Member

I have seen them both making passes and some get fertilised. no wrigglers not even a sign. Usually after day 2 they get eaten. Last time dad was more protective and chased mum away. I must admit they never pick the best spawning site but they lay eggs. I know its not two females well I think not as the female is obvious when about to lay and the male has a small one :-)

I have seen them both making passes and some get fertilised. no wrigglers not even a sign. Usually after day 2 they get eaten. Last time dad was more protective and chased mum away. I must admit they never pick the best spawning site but they lay eggs. I know its not two females well I think not as the female is obvious when about to lay and the male has a small one :-)
    Well, those little bits fool me regularly. Why don't you just remove the one you think is the egg-eater? I think I've suggested that before.

Are you adding anything to control fungus on the eggs like formalin, meth blue etc? Some people can get by without it but if I don't use it I don't get wrigglers.
    Also, screening the eggs is easier than removing a fish and will tell you if you're getting viable eggs.
    Kacey

Registered Member

fish are in a community tank so too many catfish etc for mth blue etc. I did screen but due to fungus I let them eat them. Im just not set up to remove anyone yet. Will have to think of something though..

This is a full time job eh.....

fish are in a community tank so too many catfish etc for mth blue etc. I did screen but due to fungus I let them eat them. Im just not set up to remove anyone yet. Will have to think of something though..

This is a full time job eh.....
    Things don't tend to go well in a community tank.

Registered Member

Hmm well Ill be worth a fortune if I can get fry from these 2! They are both female!!!!!! The shop will get me a male leopard to hopefully get a pair with..

Any advice on how to break the bond these two females have? They are very close!

Hmm well Ill be worth a fortune if I can get fry from these 2! They are both female!!!!!! The shop will get me a male leopard to hopefully get a pair with..

Any advice on how to break the bond these two females have? They are very close!

Seperate them.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

If I get a dead set male would putting him in the tank with the two females be an idea? I am worried how it will work and I feel that the shop should just get me another breeding pair, a proven one.

What do you think?

Thx Eddie

Off to bed now so ill look i a few hours before I go to work

If I get a dead set male would putting him in the tank with the two females be an idea? I am worried how it will work and I feel that the shop should just get me another breeding pair, a proven one.

What do you think?

Thx Eddie

Off to bed now so ill look i a few hours before I go to work
    I would split the girls and stick the male with just one. They'll make some magic in time and if they don't, you always have the other as a rebound. LOL
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I take it the other female laid eggs? Annoying, isn't it? My female kept choosing females and I finally put her in a tank with just the male. It took a while but they finally produced eggs. The second batch produced wrigglers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast