ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: FD blackworms vs FD bloodworms

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Default FD blackworms vs FD bloodworms

Anyone done a comparison between the 2? Which do the fish like better? Which is better for the fish?

Reason I'm asking is because the LFS in Singapore (where I am) have a ready supply of Hikari foods, including their Bio-Pure FD bloodworms. So if they're about the same, it may be more worth it for me to just get these instead of shipping them over from Australia

Default Re: FD blackworms vs FD bloodworms

My fish like the fd blackworms better. Not sure about which one has better nutritional value.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    Anyone done a comparison between the 2? Which do the fish like better? Which is better for the fish?

Reason I'm asking is because the LFS in Singapore (where I am) have a ready supply of Hikari foods, including their Bio-Pure FD bloodworms. So if they're about the same, it may be more worth it for me to just get these instead of shipping them over from Australia
    I'm biased on the subject, but if you would like to send me your mailing address I will send you a sample to try so you can make up your own mind

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Thanks for the sample Mal I've received it and my fish love it! I

've done a small comparison of this vs Hikari FD bloodworms.

The first thing I notice is that after soaking th Hikari bloodworms, the water turns bright red! This does not happen with the blackworms. This also does not happen when I soak frozen bloodworms to defrost. I think either some of the "goodness" is lost to the water, or Hikari puts some form of water soluble additives/colouring to their worms...that's a big turnoff for me!

The next thing I notice is that the Hikari worms seem "chopped up" compared to the blackworms. The blackworms look like "whole" worms, if you know what I mean.

Finally, my fish love both worms, but I see them fighting more gustily over the blackworms than the bloodworms.

All in all, I think I'll be placing an order for 1-2 packs of 200g blackworms soon. My friend's going to australia in a couple of months...I think I'll get him to bring them back for me

I have tried to get my discus to eat fd bldw a few times over the years and they just don't go for them. They go wild over the blackworms though.