AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heckels in Michigan

Default Heckels in Michigan

This past weekend, I picked up 8 Heckels (adult/subadult) from Cary Strong @ Great Lakes Discus, via Hans Discus in Baltimore. They are beautiful, tight schoolers getting used to their new environment. They are already an interesting contrast to the domestics I've kept in the past.

I'll post pictures soon.

Thanks to Cary and Hans for some great fish.

-Karl

Default Re: Heckels in Michigan

Thats great to hear Karl. Post some pictures when they settle.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Chris

Awesome! I can't wait for pictures.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Last night they were all clustering behind the large piece of driftwood in the tank. Perhaps they'll be more likely to come out for their glamour shots today. I'll post setup details with the first pictures.

Snapped some pictures today. Snow day in Ann Arbor! The fish look good and I love the way they school. They have a lot of color, reminding me of the red turks I've had in the past. I like the shot where you can see my three year old in the reflection.

I am a bit concerned that they seem uninterested in feeding. Cary said he had them flakes and FBW at the store and I believe Hans had them taking BH. I can get them to take a little bit of FBW but thats it. Its been 4 days in the tank. Perhaps more patience is required?

Temp is 87 and hardness/ph is 7.2 and 220 ppm. Unusual for Heckels I know but these are the parameters that they were adjusted to at Hans Discus for the several weeks he had them QT'd and treated for worms etc. I do use RO and inject CO2 so I can really adjust these to whatever the fish like the best. I've just wanted to start out where they were.

Any thoughts on the feeding? I have so much delicious stuff ready if they would just take it...brine shrimp, mysis, jumbo mysis and my very special BH blend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've included a tank shot and a picture of the sump setup. As you can see I'm using a wet-dry filter. I've two 500 watt heaters controlled by a Jehmco thermostat. Its nice and quiet. I have a Lifegard micron filter filter going that I use to power WC's and "polish" the water. Provides a nice tank circulation as well.

Nice setup!Nice fish! All my discus are from Cary as well!

Nice tank and the Heckels look great. It will take time for them to adjust, more time than domestics, so don't be worried. They'll come around, just keep it clean and stable.

All the best!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Very nice school of heckels, I like them a lot.

Just a word of caution, their eyes seem a bit dark. This could be due to the new tank (not entirely estabilished) or flukes/internal parasites. This is due to stress and whilst the are in no immediate danger and would be carefull.

If the eye colour stays that way I would personaly treat them for flukes first.

Thanks for the pictures.

Real Name
    Chris

Good looking Heckels and set up!

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks everyone.

@Erikc: I'll keep my eye on their eye color. I didn't know that could be a sign of stress or infection. I believe they were already treated for flukes, hex, worms when they were received by Hans. Hopefully they will brighten up as they start to take food and have established their social order.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos5000 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

@Erikc: I'll keep my eye on their eye color. I didn't know that could be a sign of stress or infection. I believe they were already treated for flukes, hex, worms when they were received by Hans. Hopefully they will brighten up as they start to take food and have established their social order.
    As I said it could also be due to the fact the tank is not fully cycled yet and the fish aren't settled in.

It's always a good sign for health in a heckel, if you see a heckel with dark eyes it is usualy a sign of distress or un-health. It's worth watching out for, just as important as observing the feces in the first weeks.

Fish seem to be settling in and are starting to take some brine shrimp on top of the FBW. I think their eyes are less dark but perhaps will continue to brighten?

I've attached some more shots. Enjoy!

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

wow man, heckels and tank set up are TOP NOTCH! man, Im jealous!

Hans is really supplying some quality wilds ehh??
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos5000 View Post
    Fish seem to be settling in and are starting to take some brine shrimp on top of the FBW. I think their eyes are less dark but perhaps will continue to brighten?

I've attached some more shots. Enjoy!
    They are looking better and the haze is out of the water, I think the tank is adjusting to the bioload.

Yes it does look like the eyes are clearing up, but it never hurts to be too carefull (you still have to be vigilant for the first few months).

It loks like most of your heckels should have amber eyes, some red but amber in general. Very nice fish, great setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast