ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: No beef heart at the butcher?

Default No beef heart at the butcher?

We have a local market that specializes in meats and seafoods...you know the type. Isn't it a little odd that they wouldn't carry beef heart?

I guess it's a rhetorical questions, but I thought it was odd.

Default Re: No beef heart at the butcher?

Hi David,
    Its funny out here we have the chain super market Stop and Shop... used to get my Bh there...

One branch always had it or would order it... another not 25 minutes wouldn't touch the stuff if I begged them and offered them 2x the money.

-al
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    We have a local market that specializes in meats and seafoods...you know the type. Isn't it a little odd that they wouldn't carry beef heart?

I guess it's a rhetorical questions, but I thought it was odd.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Fortunately for me they would order it in and called their source while I waited and came back to tell me it could be here Friday. Not bad at all, but I just thought for sure this place would have it on hand given the volume of meat and seafood they sell.

Curious.. has anyone ever used a KitchenAid grinder for meat and seafood before? I have the attachments, but never used them. It came with a course and fine "blade". I'm planning on using the fine and processing it twice from what I've read. Sound good?
    Last edited by David Rose; 06-07-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Registered Member

David I use my kitchenaid for my BH and seafood mixture and it work great.

Quote Originally Posted by LGelb View Post
    David I use my kitchenaid for my BH and seafood mixture and it work great.
    Thanks so much...this will be my first attempt at using the Kitchen Aid mixer and attachments.

there are 6 butcher shops around here, and the smallest and least known is the only one that carries BH, lol. i was shocked to even find it in my area. i have them clean it and grind it up for me.
    Last edited by Dan; 06-08-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    Dan

David, do you have any "Compare Food Mkts" around by you. They are all around on long Island. They carry cleaned and sliced beef heart in their meat section @ $1.98/lb no waste.I use it all the time in my kitchen aid grinder. Real nice stuff.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichT View Post
    David, do you have any "Compare Food Mkts" around by you. They are all around on long Island. They carry cleaned and sliced beef heart in their meat section @ $1.98/lb no waste.I use it all the time in my kitchen aid grinder. Real nice stuff.

Rich

Hi Rich...no CF markets here. Giant and Weiss are the big two and Karns a local chain that I went to that is known for their meat and seafood.

I may check around for other options for the next time, but am happy to be able to get it for my first attempt at making my own beef heart mix. If not, Al's beef heart mix is an excellent option.

David,
    the kitchenAid grinder and mixing bowl makes it very easy. Grind the B/H and shrimp and all other ingredients and it falls right into the mixing bowl. It mixes as you grind it.It make easy work out of it. I have an old KitchenAid/hobart mixer which is 50 years old so i only use the mixing bowl in fear of burning the motor out. Around my area i have not found any butcher who has B/H stocked but most will order it for me with there regular meat orders. I have them trim it right before i pick it up so it does not get refrozen. I make sure and take care of my butcher and he takes care of me with good quality hearts. At times he has not charged me for hearts he felt were not of the quality he was expecting. Funny how these friendships start, now we play pool a couple times a month.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    David,
    the kitchenAid grinder and mixing bowl makes it very easy. Grind the B/H and shrimp and all other ingredients and it falls right into the mixing bowl. It mixes as you grind it.It make easy work out of it. I have an old KitchenAid/hobart mixer which is 50 years old so i only use the mixing bowl in fear of burning the motor out. Around my area i have not found any butcher who has B/H stocked but most will order it for me with there regular meat orders. I have them trim it right before i pick it up so it does not get refrozen. I make sure and take care of my butcher and he takes care of me with good quality hearts. At times he has not charged me for hearts he felt were not of the quality he was expecting. Funny how these friendships start, now we play pool a couple times a month.

Kenny

Hi Kenny, Excellent... I'm looking forward to giving this a try!

Registered Member

I "special order" beefheart from the King Soopers (Krogers) where I usually shop. Order before 1:00PM and it's usually in the next day by 10:00AM. I can call in the order, and do call ahead if that's all I'm after- sometimes it takes a couple of days. Fresh sliced rumba brand in packages of ~2-3lbs...

Its banned to be sold here in dubai...checked and someone mentioned health issues :s
    SimplyDiscus --- > Simply My Discus Encyclopedia

55G Community /22G Breeder / 40G Reef

Unfortunately, we don't have Krogers here. I did order a 3-4 lb beef heart on Tuesday from the our local Karns store mentioned above and it was ready Friday resulting in me making a fresh batch of beef heart/seafood mix on Friday night. So hopefully my discus will like my "cooking" so to speak when I try it on them.

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Its banned to be sold here in dubai...checked and someone mentioned health issues :s

Hi Smiley...good to hear from you! Can you get pork heart? I think Eddie uses it given not being able to get beef heart.