AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Quarantine Advise Please

Registered Member

Default Quarantine Advise Please

I bought 3 BN PLECOS and they will soon be delivered.I have a quarantine tank up and running,(20 gal. same water as in my main discus tank,with 10 cherry barbs keeping things going).My question is what do you recomend I do as far as preparing them for introduction into my main tank-other than observing them for 4 to six weeks?I might add that these are not wild fish they are tank bred and raised by a very experienced breeder with many years in the busness.What do you do when you quarantine BN Plecos?Any and all advise would be much appreciated.(the fish will be 2.5"-3.5") Thanks-CAM

Registered Member

Default Re: Quarantine Advise Please

Well, the first thing is how clean are the cherry barbs? Generally you QT into a tank with no variables--fish already in the tank is a variable. How long have the barbs been in there? If you feel convinced they are clean, then put the BNs in + sit on them for 4-6 weeks. Watch them for the usual, ie stringy poops, etc. If they are doing well at 6 weeks, I would start 'the canary in the coal mine' procedure: take one fish from the big tank, put it in the QT tank and sit on that for another week or so. If the new guys get sick, there is something going on in the big tank. If the established fish gets sick, there is something going on with the new guys. If nobody gets sick, you are good to go--toss them into the big tank.
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Registered Member

Thanks Harriett-I would have thought to get more replies on this one as so many profess to having bns in with their discus.The old cherrys are good to go as they have been in the quar tank for quite some time and I have and i have used them to quarantine discus in the past.What I was looking for was some advise on pre treating with something like parasite cure(jungle).I might also call Kenny to get this take also.Thanks again-CAM

Registered Member

You are welcome!Sometimes it takes a little bit of time before folks notice a post and respond, plz don't take it personally.* I've had it happen to me as well.* Anyhow, so answer this--are you confident that the BNs came from a reliably healthy source?* If so, I would skip the treatment [my opinion] and just watch them real well.* I fthere is a parasitic issue, you will see it in their appetites and their poop.* I just shy away from treating prophylactically unless they are wild or I know there is a problem.* We all do it our own way, of course.* I have kept Bns with discus for years and they are good tankmates.* They do a nice job in the tank, also.Let us know if you have other questions on this!Best regards,Harriett

Registered Member

Thanks for that Harriett,I don't like to take shots in the dark with meds and i guess one of the reasons that I posed the problem was to get a little reinforcement !I have two big old angels( mated pair)in my main tank-same tank that i intend to intro the Bns into,I think that after I observe the Bns for a few weeks that i will put the angels into the quarantine tank with them and see how things develop-been wanting to get those angels out of that tank anyway! CAM

Registered Member

Perfect! Your instincts seem right on the mark.
    Best regards,
    Harriett