ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Fights = fish not eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse Liu

Default Discus Fights = fish not eating

I have a 90 gallon planted tank with 8 Discus. 2 of my discus (which arent even my largest discus) are picking on all 6 other discus and causing stress marks on some of my discus. this has been going on for about a month now... and im not sure what their "pecking order" is.. how can i fix this?

Default Re: Discus Fights = fish not eating

Its Natural Nature, if it continues you may have to take 1 or 2 both out. I think 6 Adults in a planted 90 would work out better anyways.

Registered Member

I would just up the water changing and keep feeding as normal. It's natural for them to fight and get the pecking order up and running. Can you post pics of the tank?

They'll probably work it out among themselves but I've removed fish for a few days and brought them back again, assuming there's another tank to do this with. Sometimes this solves or at least helps the problem.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

As a beginner this was the hardest thing to get through my head. There is just no way around the fighting. After I purchased them it took a full 6 months for my Discus to settle down. In the mean time, I divided the tank, I took fish out and put them back in, didn't do a lick of good. I just had to let them work it out. Now they peck at each other every once in a while but, nothing to write home about.

Real Name
    Ali

If the tank isn't crowded with plants I'd add 2 more to make them 10, quarantine first though.

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

I have many of my Discus continually "spar", I have a few that always spar and they have been together for a year.
    You could actaully have males fighting over a female that is about to lay.
    Did you ever consider this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse Liu

i can post a picture when i get home... one of my discus (which i assume to be the 6th place of 8 in the pecking order got quite a few knicks on it's side. but seems to be fine though... my largest discus (red Turq) and my smallest one (yellow whiteface) are hiding in the large plant growth.. i will mow down the plants soon though as i always do. right now my first discus i ever bought (red pidgeon - seems to be a low grade) and the blue snake skin are the most agressive. they dont fight but rather gang up on others.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse Liu

As an update they are not as aggressive in the fights anymore but they all do still fight. As for a female ready to lay I don't know how to sex discus nor am I qualified enough to to breed them. I only breed stingrays lol

Quote Originally Posted by jesseliu13 View Post
    As an update they are not as aggressive in the fights anymore but they all do still fight. As for a female ready to lay I don't know how to sex discus nor am I qualified enough to to breed them. I only breed stingrays lol
    Only breed Stingrays!? Sounds like you're probably on the skill level to breed Discus if you set out to.