AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deworm your fish?

Default Re: How do you deworm your fish?

So Eddie, when you use Angels plus Deworming flake you feed them 4-5 times daily and for 3 days correct? The package says every other night for 5 nights and I was thinking that that was odd.
    Ben
    Aspiring Hobbyist Breeder

Real Name
    Dennis

Thumbs up Re: How do you deworm your fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Here is a tip, get the Garlic flake from Angel Plus and train the fish to eat this flake regularly. The garlic flake is the base flake for the de-worming flake so it looks and probably tastes exactly the same. Garlic flake is one flake that I get all my fish to eat well. This makes the de-worming routine extremely easy.
    Great idea!
    Knowledge is Fun(damental)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaben19 View Post
    So The package says every other night for 5 nights and I was thinking that that was odd.
    Just to add....according to Steve, you feed nothing else during treatment but the medicated flake.

ZX10R, you may need to try Levamisole as a water treatment that is absorbed over 24hr period or Fenbendazole to mix with their preferred foods. The problem with these meds is getting all your discus to eat it or eat a sufficient amount of it to work.

BTW, you will have a difficult time finding Levamisole, but it can be found under the name Vermisol, which I sell.

Best of luck...as Eddie said, your discus will come around to eating flake in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaben19 View Post
    So Eddie, when you use Angels plus Deworming flake you feed them 4-5 times daily and for 3 days correct? The package says every other night for 5 nights and I was thinking that that was odd.

Yup, the instructions are odd on the package and although it may be sufficient, I prefer to keep the medicated flake going for 3-4 days non-stop. Just my way.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    ZX10R, you may need to try Levamisole as a water treatment that is absorbed over 24hr period or Fenbendazole to mix with their preferred foods. The problem with these meds is getting all your discus to eat it or eat a sufficient amount of it to work.

BTW, you will have a difficult time finding Levamisole, but it can be found under the name Vermisol, which I sell.

Best of luck...as Eddie said, your discus will come around to eating flake in time.
    Thanks David,

I just bought a 1 lb bag of Angel Plus Deworming food so I will give it a try some. If I don't seem to be getting much luck with them eating this stuff I will be sure to send you a PM to get some Levamisole ordered from you. Just a little concerned on using it because of my freshwater ray I have in with the discus. I need to make sure it is safe for him also.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Good to know David... thats a med I would like to put in the cabinent.
    Ben
    Aspiring Hobbyist Breeder

Registered Member

Aah now it is more clear to me and I misunderstood. I thought your fish stopped feeding but they dislike pellets. If thats all I take back all I wrote before. Your fish are just fine but you want to deworm them just to make sure the growth is not slower becouse of worms right?

If your fish like beefheart or a fish based mix, why not buy meds to mix in those foods and skip the flakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post
    If your fish like beefheart or a fish based mix, why not buy meds to mix in those foods and skip the flakes?
    That is what I had thought about doing. But after two days of giving them straight deworming flake food I believe some of them are starting to come around and are slowly starting to eat it.

Registered Member

To be honest I would feel better abouth adding meds to the food my selves in stead of a processed flakes. If they don't receive the right quantity of meds the worms won't die and can become resistant to the used meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post
    To be honest I would feel better abouth adding meds to the food my selves in stead of a processed flakes. If they don't receive the right quantity of meds the worms won't die and can become resistant to the used meds.
    This is why I use levamisole in water. Some fish eat more, some eat less, and when I add the med to the water, I don't need to worry about over or under-medicating.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    This is why I use levamisole in water. Some fish eat more, some eat less, and when I add the med to the water, I don't need to worry about over or under-medicating.
    +1

Registered Member

Yes I agrea as well but some meds won't work that well when dosed in the water. Niclosamide is one of them and Metronidazole is an other. The side effects of levamisole in the food is very small while adding it to the water it defenately effects the fish in many way's (skittish, stop feeding). So both methods have a posetive and a negative side to them.

Well I can see everyones point. So you can mix levamisole with there food or is it just something you add to the water?

I've not used levimasole in food so can't answer that one definitively, but I see no reason why not. The best med to use in food (and only in food) is fenbendazole, it is also the best "broad range" wormer too ime. If you cannot get levimasole, then piperazine or flubendazole both work well in water. I have good success with flubendazole, bot in the water and food, though if the fish are eating well I prefer fenbendazole in food.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast