ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluval E300 Heaters????

Default Fluval E300 Heaters????

has anyone used the Fluval 300 heaters before. I have two of these and am not able to get the water temp past about 81 degrees....anyone have any ideas or are they crap. If they are bad I will stick with the Eheim heaters and take them back.
    I like the idea of no metal contacts that can possibly stick closed and fry the fish, which is "why" I bought this.....let me know if anyone has used these before.....

Default Re: Fluval E300 Heaters????

Hi Dean,

Same problem here. I never did get around to getting mine replaced, so it's collecting dust somewhere. My suggestion is to take it back to the store if you can. You'll have much better luck with Ebo Jagers, Finnex, Rena Smart or ViaAqua.

Take care,
    David
    Last edited by David Rose; 06-09-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks David...I did take them back and bought Ehiem Jager....had these before, but I kind of liked the safety features of the Fluval....I even called them and they were absolutely no help.....told me to raise the temp in my room by4-6 degrees and see if that helps.....I don't think so.....I think if anyone does buy one of these don't expect the ones rated for 100 gallon tanks to work well...by the way, I was trying to heat two 75 gallon tanks....I would think they would be awesome for 55 gallons or less......IMO!!!!
    Last edited by dean9922; 06-10-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Registered Member

Raise you room temp by 4 to 6 degrees..what a crap answer.
    {MatthewLP}
    Kansas City, Mo.

exactly what I thought Mathew

Ive been having problems with hydor theo heaters and nearly cooking my fish. I also recently switched to 2x200w jager heaters. Much better temp control and now way either 1 could cook my fish ;-)

If by safety features you mean the plastic housing. The Rena Smart filter is comparable to Fluval E. I have one in my hospital tank and it works very well without heating the surrounding plastic housing similar to glass/titanium heaters that can burn your discus. Note: IMO, this would only occur if you don't match tank temp during water changes or the heater malfunctions.

I actually bought the Rena to use with my XP3 to integrate it with the intake tube, thus making it an inline heater of sorts given the hollow center. However, I had to rethink that given my desire to use a pre-filter on the intake tube and didn't want to mess with customizing a filter to fit the end of this submarine shaped heater.

In any case, it's a great heater, consistent, and works well during the winter when I don't heat the four season room over night where my hospital tank is located.

The safety factor that I liked about it was how it stated it would lock in the temp and keep it locked on for great temp control. I liked the idea of no metal contacts and it being microprocessor controlled.....I felt this was one of the biggest +'s ...... I also liked how the display would actually show you the current temp of the tanks to.....and yes, I suppose the plastic around the heater to protect against burns would have been nice.....
    but the bottom line is, it did not heat the tanks to the temp needed...lol
    woke up this morning with the new 250 watt Jager heaters and temp of water is 84 degrees in both 75 gallon tanks.....

IMO, our sponsor Ken, (www.kenfish.com) has some the best prices on heaters, speedy shipping, and excellent service. I bought most of my heaters from him and have been very pleased.

Thanks David....I have ordered several times from Ken's and yes he does have great prices, selection and quick shipping.....take care

My Fluval E300 is still in my tank....but yeah...I had to put in a second heater just to bring it to 83 degrees.

Don't think the good people at Hagen considered the discus folk who need to crank it to 90 degrees at times. When I talked to them, they told me it was because I had an open-top tank that was letting out all the heat...I have a Hagen tank...and if the heat was dropping, wouldn't the heater kick in to compensate? HMMMMM

Talked to them for months, sent in an E300 for 'quality testing', got a replacement, same problem....and haven't heard back from them.

The other heater I have in the tank is just an old 75w Jager that I cranked to 9 which seems to be working. Probably not the best idea...but it's been working. Don't really have the fiances to be spending too much money on new equipment.

Sharkbait....wondered where you've been....glad to see you posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    My Fluval E300 is still in my tank....but yeah...I had to put in a second heater just to bring it to 83 degrees.

Don't think the good people at Hagen considered the discus folk who need to crank it to 90 degrees at times. When I talked to them, they told me it was because I had an open-top tank that was letting out all the heat...I have a Hagen tank...and if the heat was dropping, wouldn't the heater kick in to compensate? HMMMMM

Talked to them for months, sent in an E300 for 'quality testing', got a replacement, same problem....and haven't heard back from them.

The other heater I have in the tank is just an old 75w Jager that I cranked to 9 which seems to be working. Probably not the best idea...but it's been working. Don't really have the fiances to be spending too much money on new equipment.

Real Name
    Dennis

Thumbs up Re: Fluval E300 Heaters????

I have given up on many brands of heaters - they don't heat or they drift in temp or they just fail after a short time. I just buy one brand that has worked 100% for me (I own seven.) The ViaAqua (300 watt) and a single unit holds my 75 gal even up to 92 F, no problem! (I have spares for winter use and one extra if I ever get a failure.) Also, it can be mounted horz. near the bottom of the tank and the temp sensor can be placed well away which helps to keep all my tank uniform in temperature. Also, I really like the remote control head (microprocessor controled) so I can set temp without dealing with the heating unit. Best of all, these units cost about the same as similar sized heaters - amazing. I went with the Ti rather than the steel - salt with discus can do in the steel ones.
    Knowledge is Fun(damental)

I've been around

Not much to write about these days - plus I've been busy with work. I'll probably take more photos of the tank just to update it, but not much has changed.

Thanks Foxfire and Sharkbait.....and I totally agree that these heaters should perform better then they do.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast