ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wild Discus

Registered Member

Default Wild Discus

Where the best places to buy wild discus in the States?

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Wild Discus

From Hans (Discus Hans) or John (snookn21)! Both sponsors on this board.
    -Matt

after what John did for me with the fed ex disaster I vote snookn21. plus his wilds are big, beautiful, healthy, and fairly priced.

Real Name
    Discus Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Registered Member

Hudson+Hans=QUALITY!...Bill

any places in the states ship wilds over to ireland

Yes, if your interested in F1 from wilds , I can get a box to an Air Canada destination for around $42.00. We have a Vet working with us for proper documentation clearance. Website is not ready just yet, but feel free to contact me direct :-)

Dale

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Contact Paul Lucas in UK, he has Wilds http://www.discus-south.com/index.php/home

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Quote Originally Posted by dalejordan View Post
    Yes, if your interested in F1 from wilds , I can get a box to an Air Canada destination for around $42.00. We have a Vet working with us for proper documentation clearance. Website is not ready just yet, but feel free to contact me direct :-)

Dale
    Hi Dale,
    Sounds like heck of a deal. The opportunity to raise F1 Discus doesn't happen all that much so when you can obtain some from a reliable breeder who can provide a bit of their pedigree and get such a low freight rate it is a great deal.

I like wild Discus as much as any other fanatic on this board but being able to raise parasite free F1's save money, save the anxiety of coping with parasite treatments and
    F1 youngsters act as wild as if you caught them out of their parent's home river/lake.

I think it is smart to buy F1 purebred wilds(sorry I don't consider them wild if one parent is a domestic). By the time you see the first signs of pairing behavior begin to think about buying a couple wild males of their type. You get to set up 3 lines of similar fish. One line is sibling pairs, and one other pair for each wild male you manage to match up with an F1 female. This allows proceeding on a long term project of trying to keep them looking true to the best of their ancestors and even 2 other pairs with F1 females and wild males producing a similar fish but with greatly improved genetic diversity. Line breeding reduces the hazards of excessive inbreeding.
    Occasionally, over the years, mate different but similar lines you create and your fish will remain vigorous and still have that wild neurological wiring. You always retain the option of introducing additional superb wild as wanted as long as you keep up your interest in producing wild type tank raised fish.

I am practicing what I preach with 16 nice F1 Blues from as fine a Royal Blue male as one ever hopes to see mated with an Alenquer type Semi-Royal Blue female. There are already some outstanding fish and they are far from being full grown.
    Next Spring, I will be offering up my 6 large wild red Alenquers, some of which are semi-Royals and others have especially fine red bodies with fewer Blue striations. I plan to convert my 6 beautiful Alenquers into two of the best wild Royal blues I can find at the time to introduce and start two new parallel lines of Royal/Semi-Royals but the new lines would be about3/4 genetically Royal Blue. Few if any Blue females ever devlope the full fledged Royal Blue pattern.

This is not a debate over who has the best wild Discus but is more along the lines of choosing what your reasons and goals for keeping great colored wild type Discus are.
    Few who buy a bunch of fine wild Discus will ever actually breed and raise any fry from their expensive Discus and that is just a fact.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 09-01-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Larry Waybright