AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Japura Green spawn

Default Re: Japura Green spawn

Dale,

That's really a killer pair, looking forward to hear for good results.

Dean,

The mouth is stretched outwards because it is 'yawning'. Usually when it does this, the dorsal and anal fin will be fully erected too. A good way to display its body shape and fins.
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

got my little wild charges from dale yesterday..very cute..good shape..strong..eating out of the bag.
    ill post pics . hopefully tomorrow.

Registered Member

Hi Dale:

Day 3 and the little beasties are doing GREAT. I spent way too much time watching them today, but they are so cute! Actually, they are very interesting to watch. They are extremely curious, tough and very bold. I wanted to set up this grow-out tank with places for them to explore and hide, so while I kept it barebottom, I added a few pieces of driftwood and some moss balls. Half of the discus spent the entire day exploring the whole tank; the other half are more reserved and stick to themselves. They all have HUGE appetites and started eating freeze dried blackworms yesterday along with April's homemade discus pup food which they just DEVOUR. I thought watching a dario dario eat a bloodworm was the funniest thing I'd ever seen until seeing a baby discus suck up a blackworm like a string of spaghetti I really LOVE your trick of grating frozen fish food, but it goes EVERYWHERE!!!

Sorry about the video quality (first shot below is short vid); my camera is on its way out, but just wanted to show you how they're doing and thank you for such wonderful little beasties (but tomorrow I really MUST do some housework ). The pictures were just taken 10 minutes ago.

Shelley

great pics. nice babies. i have some similar!!
    mine are eating out of my hands now. they all come up soon as they see me and grab the beefheart.
    i need a new camera!! the iphone just doesnt do it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    great pics. nice babies. i have some similar!!
    mine are eating out of my hands now. they all come up soon as they see me and grab the beefheart.
    i need a new camera!! the iphone just doesnt do it.
    Hey, we can compare growth rate......you know how competitive I am - but no force feeding with a turkey baster They're tough little gaffers, aren't they?

well i have to send some of mine to prince george apparently...but till then..: )

WOW you guys....look at the little Buddha bellies on them already, they sure look happy !!!!
    Be careful Shelly with the FD bloodworms, I've had young of this size get "constipated " from them. I'd continue with your mixture until they're about 3.5" and then give them their treats :-)

Keep up the good work, please keep me posted and thank you again for the positive input !!

Take care

Dale

PS:This Royal Japura / Cobalt cross seems to be developing well. I have pulled another small spawn and will have these ready for Sept :-)
    Pre-Orders for the Pure Japura, Madeira bluehead cross and these fish are coming in hard, if anyone wants any, I am taking pre-orders ( YES, I will be shipping to the US, Via LA )

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dalejordan View Post
    Be careful Shelly with the FD bloodworms, I've had young of this size get "constipated " from them. I'd continue with your mixture until they're about 3.5" and then give them their treats :-)
    Good point, Dale. Just 'cuz they CAN eat something, doesn't mean they SHOULD be eating it!!! They are more than happy with the beefheart mixture so I'll stick with that. I'll definately keep you posted on their progress and thanks again - they're just so awesome

Thanks again Shelly !!!

Forgot to mention in my last post. Spencer Jack of Afishionados here in Winnipeg ( http://cichlaholic.com/lists.html ) and I have decided to join forces. He has been able to negotiate KILLER rates to WHEREVER Air Canada flies. So if you live in Frankfurt and you want a few Cory's and a plant or two with your Discus....NO PROBLEM. If you live in Hong Kong and want a school of Cards with your Discus....NO PROBLEM. We will make it work for you if we can and at prices that rival or beat most domestic airline rates :-)

ok well i cant take pics..and i cant upload apparently..lol. shelley will have to come take pics..im incapable at this time. lol.
    where do i sign up for the killer shipping fees. lol. im gonna callmy shop dale/spencer depot.

I've heard the guy in Prince George is a super nice guy and that he is really excited to get his fish.....lol

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dean9922 View Post
    I've heard the guy in Prince George is a super nice guy and that he is really excited to get his fish.....lol
    Hopefully that super nice guy from Prince George is going to get his fish soon because I hear April is getting pretty bonded to them with her hand-feedings You're going to love them.

ok new camera. heres some pics of them eating their breakfast. they were up and begging when they saw me come in this morning.

Registered Member

Hey Shelley looking good and I know they will get the best of care.

April you know you have to share,lol or maybe Dean will have to make a trip down south.
    Laurence

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfind View Post
    Hey Shelley looking good and I know they will get the best of care.

April you know you have to share,lol or maybe Dean will have to make a trip down south.
    Laurence
    Thanks, Laurence. I appreciate that

It's been 11 days and I thought I'd show you all how they are doing.

I'll be honest - I was a little worried about the set up. As you can see, the 29 gallon tank is directly in a window. I did this because as April can tell you all, I'm running out of room for tanks It's working out WONDERFULLY. I keep the blinds open and only occasionally turn on the tank lighting so the little ones are totally responsive to natural light - they go to sleep when it gets dark out and they wake up slowly and gradually as the sun comes up. The window faces north and apartment buildings so they never get direct light. It works just great.

Because they would be so "exposed" in the window, I didn't want to have a completely open tank - at the sign of the first seagull or crow flying by the window, I didn't want them jumping out!! My other discus tanks are b/b so I compromised and used moss balls, a couple of potted plants, and a few odd pieces of driftwood. That's also working well - cleanup is a breeze and the tank has plenty of hiding and exploring places for the fish, plus they get to hunt for their food which is cool to watch.

Okay - enough about me..........here are the beasties from this morning. And yes, they are ALWAYS this active They are beautiful little fish and I hope I'm doing alright by them. Dale, please let me know what you think. I'm feeding 4 times/day, and 2 25% waterchages a day as well.

Without further delay......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NbqWsHHqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2eUOPYFbRg

Thanks for watching, folks

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast