AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Cleaning BB 2.5ft tall tanks?

Registered Member

Default Cleaning BB 2.5ft tall tanks?

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about this problem for a little while then I thought, some others must have tall tanks, how do you guys do it? My arms aren't long enough. Surely someone has come up with an innovative solution to the problem? or is the answer long handled brushes?
    Last edited by Lillee; 06-21-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Default Re: Cleaning BB 2.5ft tall tanks?

Strong cleaning magnets, specially made aquarium cleaner (the long handled brush).

Or,

If your tank is big enough and wanna try something special, you could always jump in and clean it from the inside, thats what they do in those big shark tanks Humour intended.
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Registered Member

haha I could fit the whole family in this tank that's for sure.

I was thinking of something innovative like a magnet with a car windscreen whiper or sqeegee attached at 90 degrees. Then can just run the magnet up and down the bottom of the tank and bob's yer uncle? Problem will be that you can apply a downward pressure on the front of the tank but what about the back where I can't access it? hmm needs more thought

I don't think ordinally tank set up with custom made cabinets have the ability to have cleaning magnets to wipe down the tank floor as the magnet may not be strong enough as you have to consider that the cabinet will be in the way. However, it will work if you have a wooden made stand where the bottom of the tank is opened (unless covered with a polysterene), which will have difficulties in moving the magnet due to friction.
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Registered Member

No this tank already has polystyrene bottom. What I meant was a squeegee attached to a maget at 90 degrees so the magnet runs on the viewing pane of glass so I move the magnet up and down the viewing pane at the very bottom of the tank and the squeegee which will need to be 24" long will scrape the bottom of the tank all the way along.

I have some 32" deep tanks and cleaning has never been a problem. Get some brushes with long handles and a pair of extended grabbers. Your arms will get wet but with a small step ladder and long brushes you should be fine. Good group of cleaning fish will in very valuable to you here also. Bristle nose pleco's will really help you clean the glass.

Kenny

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Kenny. That's good to hear! I won't be draining the tank for water changes, it will be an overflow waterchange system similar to a drip systtem so the water level will always be high.

Long brushes it is!

I thought of bristlenose plecos but I am afraid they may get sucked up the filters which I plan to have them suck from the bottom. Maybe I should start by raising some large plecos lol

I have 2-30" deep tanks. I use one of those swivel-jointed heavy duty scrub pads with a 1" pvc pipe handle that Aquatic Eco Systems sells. It's made for public display tanks, with replaceable pads. Works perfect on deep tanks.
    Darrell

Registered Member

Hi Darrel,

Insteresting, do you mean a swivel style squeegee? do you have a link? Thanks

EDIT do you mean one of these? http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...Duty-Scrub-Pad
    Last edited by Lillee; 06-21-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Found link