ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth Question..

Default Growth Question..

I have an interesting question, well to me it is interesting. Actually I will ask the question in the form of a story.

Back in December I went to Choice Aqauriums and purchased 3, 2 and a half inch Stendkers. 1 Brilliant(which I lost to bloat I think), 1 Sribbled Turk and 1 blue snake. The Turk is now 5 1/4" and still growing. The Snake I figured was a runt because he just didn't put on any growth. Now, all of a sudden, within the last month he has put on an inch and a quarter and doesn't show any signs of slowing. So my question is this: is this normal? or has anyone had this happen?

Diet and WC's are the same. Nothing has changed at all except for the fact I used tuna in my last mix lol.

Thanks for looking
    Ben
    Aspiring Hobbyist Breeder

Default Re: Growth Question..

Snakeskin strains tend to develop slower, that would be my guess from reading.
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

My guess would be that it MIGHT be a male and tends to pair off with another, and for some reason in my experience, this has happened and the fish starts to bully the rest and does grow out of the usual... maybe I could be wrong, but this is the case with angel fishes at some places and one of my discus pairs went somewhat through the same thing.
    "There are 2 ways to do it - my way and the right way"

Schergeil

Stendker strains do not develop slower. My guess is there was something holding back his growth - less access to food or some pathogen bothering him. It may just be his genetic make-up.

may want to de worm them. It is a good practice to de worm juvenile's every few months until they reach are 9 months to one year old. These guys are a bit past that but as Martha said something is holding them back. I am not a huge supporter of medicating discus unless you know what you are treating but i do make a practice of de worming as my fish develop. It is very common in community tanks to have one discus who does not develop as quickly as the others, most times there is nothing wrong with this fish but maybe a bit timid and not get the same amount of food as others or just being picked on. If you remove this fish another will take it's place in no time. I am glad he is catching up so keep him going with good food and lots of clean water. Angels Plus makes a good de worming flake. Sounds like you are pretty serious about your hobby. You may want to invest in a microscope if you do not have one already, it will help take the guess work out of treating your fish.

Kenny

Registered Member Discus master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    may want to de worm them. It is a good practice to de worm juvenile's every few months until they reach are 9 months to one year old. These guys are a bit past that but as Martha said something is holding them back. I am not a huge supporter of medicating discus unless you know what you are treating but i do make a practice of de worming as my fish develop. It is very common in community tanks to have one discus who does not develop as quickly as the others, most times there is nothing wrong with this fish but maybe a bit timid and not get the same amount of food as others or just being picked on. If you remove this fish another will take it's place in no time. I am glad he is catching up so keep him going with good food and lots of clean water. Angels Plus makes a good de worming flake. Sounds like you are pretty serious about your hobby. You may want to invest in a microscope if you do not have one already, it will help take the guess work out of treating your fish.

Kenny
    I have some juvis growing out as well, I was going to ask what should I use to de worm them? and how often? of course I do not know if they have worms or even need this but if its a good idea untill there older than I would like to jump on board with this and start my de worming asap to prevent possible problems in the future, thanks Kenny!
    So Many Discus, Not Enough Tanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Discus master View Post
    I have some juvis growing out as well, I was going to ask what should I use to de worm them? and how often? of course I do not know if they have worms or even need this but if its a good idea untill there older than I would like to jump on board with this and start my de worming asap to prevent possible problems in the future, thanks Kenny!
    There is a few ways to approach de worming young discus.
    De worming flakes are good and should be used every few months(3 to 4) until adults. I like Angels Plus's de worming flake since all my discus eat it well. if you are planning on feeding this flake get some of Steve's garlic flake also and condition your fish on that as it is the same base as his de worming flake. feed once or twice a day for 5 days with no other food during this time. If i do see worms being expelled i do a follow up treatment a week of so later of Levamisole in the water for 24 hours and then again 3 weeks later. If i was to only use one de wormer it would be Levamisole as it is absorbed and dosage can be calibrated for each fish as you do not need to rely on the all eating the same amount. De worming is the only treatment i do without seeing a problems or evidence of something wrong.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny and Martha, always a pleasure to have both of your advice.

Kenny, I keep in my freezer 1lb of Angels Plus deworming flake. The tank he is in did just receive a treatment a week and a half ago.

Its just funny is all, I have seen and owned stunted fish before and he/she just doesnt fit the bill.
    Ben
    Aspiring Hobbyist Breeder

There is a few ways to approach de worming young discus.
    De worming flakes are good and should be used every few months(3 to 4) until adults. I like Angels Plus's de worming flake since all my discus eat it well. if you are planning on feeding this flake get some of Steve's garlic flake also and condition your fish on that as it is the same base as his de worming flake. feed once or twice a day for 5 days with no other food during this time. If i do see worms being expelled i do a follow up treatment a week of so later of Levamisole in the water for 24 hours and then again 3 weeks later. If i was to only use one de wormer it would be Levamisole as it is absorbed and dosage can be calibrated for each fish as you do not need to rely on the all eating the same amount. De worming is the only treatment i do without seeing a problems or evidence of something wrong.

Kenny
    Thank you Kenny I was going to ask you that, you do this to be proactive rite? you already answered because I am not into doing that either only treat when there is an issue but it seems very common place to do the de worming wether you notice an issue or not? Can I get the flkes from the LFS or that fish place and is it a frozen food or just a dry food? My fish seem to eat whatever I put into the tank I have feed primarly frozen blood worms and recently tried a discus pelet and they ate it rite away with out hesitation so I think they will eat whatever my juvis always seem hungry and will take a nibble at anything that goes in the tank including my fingers soemtimes, lol

you are lucky to have them with such good appetites. you can get the de worming flake from http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm. Steve ships fast. If you need levamisole to add to their water david rose sells it http://www.igopro-online.com/Vermisol-p/vermis100.htm

Kenny

you are lucky to have them with such good appetites. you can get the de worming flake from http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm. Steve ships fast. If you need levamisole to add to their water david rose sells it http://www.igopro-online.com/Vermisol-p/vermis100.htm

Kenny
    So this has to be ordered? I have like 4 big name LFS's rite near my house and That Dish place is close by as well, if none of those places carry the stuff than is there something that they do have that would work as well,? as far as you know I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Discus master View Post
    So this has to be ordered? I have like 4 big name LFS's rite near my house and That Dish place is close by as well, if none of those places carry the stuff than is there something that they do have that would work as well,? as far as you know I mean?
    sorry i do not. the only thing i can recommend is angels plus de worming flake or David Rose who sell vermisol http://www.igopro-online.com/Vermisol-p/vermis100.htm. I buy everything online. maybe someone else here can suggest something a pet store would have. I would bet if you called either one of them they could have it to you by Thursday. If it was an hour ago i would have said Wednesday.

Kenny

Kenny
    +1
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Ok I will check the link and see how much it is and shipping and so forth thanks!!

I checked it out I think I will order a small package of all three things just in case I will use the de wormer proactively and the others if ever needed thank you guys.

no check out my other post to see if you can hep me identify my strains!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast