AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: White Crusty Build-Up on Tank Appliances

Default White Crusty Build-Up on Tank Appliances

Anyone know how to clean it off? I know it's harmless, but still rather unsightly. It's mostly on my filters, and a little on my plastic hoods. A bleach/water combo maybe? Or vinegar? Any success getting this stuff off?
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

Registered Member Discus master's Avatar

Default Re: White Crusty Build-Up on Tank Appliances

Quote Originally Posted by Bree7 View Post
    Anyone know how to clean it off? I know it's harmless, but still rather unsightly. It's mostly on my filters, and a little on my plastic hoods. A bleach/water combo maybe? Or vinegar? Any success getting this stuff off?
    I would be hesitant to use bleach around my tank aat all, I just use a microfiber cloth dip a corner of it in the aquarium water and thats it, it may not be spotless but I feel safer not using any chemicals around my tank.

I think there is a spray thats safe for that kind of things and the glass hood filter covers everything safe for aquarium use at that fish place just a bottle of whatever but I would feel safer using that I do not know how much it is I am sure it not to expensive.
    So Many Discus, Not Enough Tanks!

Registered Member

I use muriatic acid from the home center, but strongly caution anybody who intends to do so. The stuff is really nasty, dangerous, and must be used outdoors with suitable protective gear- rubber gloves, eye protection, charcoal filter respirator, running water immediately available. Old clothes, too, as any speck of acid will create a hole in them. Read and heed the instructions and the MSDS...

Definitely annihilates calcium deposits. The deposits sometimes etch themselves into the glass, so removal may not provide completely clear results. Doesn't harm glass, pvc, or silicone seal. Rinse thoroughly with running water.

Soaking in vinegar helps, if you have enough of it and are very patient. Bleach won't touch calcium deposits.

Registered Member

Vinegar (dont get any in the tank and rinse everything well b4 putting back)and a little elbow grease have worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_B View Post
    Vinegar (dont get any in the tank and rinse everything well b4 putting back)and a little elbow grease have worked great for me.
    I agree. Only lose the muriatic acid if you can't get it cleaned off with vinegar. I've used both and the vinegar works just as well if you scrub. Sometimes however, vinegar is just not strong enough but always use the muriatic acid as a last resort for your own safety.
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.

Thanks guys!

I used vinegar and baking soda and it did the job decently.
    I finished it off with a razor and for the most part, I think it turned out pretty good! I try to stay away from acids that can burn a hole in my skin, haha... not to mention what that would do to a fish if it wasn't rinsed well enough!
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

Registered Member

You can use Lime-Away or a product from Jungle call Lime Off, remove white scale deposits.

Cliff