AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Feeding a Group of Discus

Real Name
    Dennis

Question Feeding a Group of Discus

I have been raising ten discus and feed them a lot. However, five, six or more feedings never seem enough. I use what I consider is more than enough - takes them 3 - 5 minutes to consume but then, they are searching for more and looking for any and all scraps (no need for clean up fish.) While they're growing fast, how do you know when a discus has eaten enough? By how they act, they could eat endlessly and I don't want to overfeed. What is the best method to try?
    Knowledge is Fun(damental)

Registered Member

Default Re: Feeding a Group of Discus

Feed them all they will eat. After 30 40 min. Clean up and adjust feed to that. To grow out discus keep there belly full and there water clean.
    Jerry

Thats a sign of a healthy discus, they always seem hungry. However, no matter how cute they look, I try to resist feeding them. You could check the video I made on YT if you like, my feeding schedules
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

i feed mine everytime i walk by the tank so sometimes as much as 12 times per day, but they are little feedings each time
    simple ideas are the ones that works best
    "The only thing that breeds true in humanity, is Stupidity"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by deepflyball View Post
    Feed them all they will eat. After 30 40 min. Clean up and adjust feed to that. To grow out discus keep there belly full and there water clean.
    Jerry
    I treat growing fish similarly, although I have no recent experience with discus <3-1/2". I feed enough that it takes 'em 20 minutes or so to clean it up, at least 3X/day. The more aggressive feeders back off when satiated, everybody ends up with fat bellies. I think this evens out growth...

It's rare that they don't get a prime treated, aged, heated and aerated 50% daily water change w/ poop siphoning... canister prefilter fine sponge cleaning every few days, sponge filters wrung out in a bucket of tank water every few weeks...

I've had excellent results growing out Kenny's fish- they're whoppers...