AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Temp with Summer Heat..??

Default Water Temp with Summer Heat..??

This is frustrating.

The water in my discus tank is always stable at 85*F.
    Well, today, although not blazing hot outside (80*) the temperature in my fish room has skyrocketed! Normally, the room isn't hot or cold. But I walked in and freaked out- The tank is at 92*F! I normally don't use my air conditioning unit which is installed in my window, but I turned it on cold, high blast. Turned my tank lights off, and added a couple of air stones.

Sigh. What do I do now? I know I shouldn't let the temp drop too fast, but I'm just trying to cool down the room to cool down the tank!

All fish are active, healthy looking, and have been eating fine at all of their meals today. They are 3-4 inches.

Any ideas?? I don't want the temp to drop too quickly, but it needs to come back down to 84!
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Water Temp with Summer Heat..??

Hi Bree,

It appears that you have caught it just in time. The fact that you have your air cond. on now and shut tank lights out and added a couple of air stones there is nothing left to do.
    However, Discus can handle 92F but would be wise to keep it between 82F-84F.
    Check if they are breathing hard.
    Just a few question....do you have the sticker type temp. and where is it located on your tank. or do you use a meter?
    If you check the temp at the surface...it will be warmer than at the bottom.
    Hope all goes well,

...Ralph

Your room ambient temp would have to be close to 100 degree for your tank water to be 92. Are you sure you don't have stucked heater or you may need to calibrate your heater.

I wish I have the problem of having to reduce the temp from my tank because of the room ambient temperature.

Registered Member

Water has enormous latent heat, so it'll take several hours for the tank temp to return to normal with comfortable room temps restored.

Shouldn't be a big deal for the fish, at all. Be sure your heater isn't stuck on...

What do you guys mean, "make sure your heater isn't stuck on"? As in stuck to the side of the tank? It's on suction cups.. the heater isn't even running because it's set for 83/84*. It has no heat to maintain, so it doesn't run.

I have one thermometer that sticks to the side of the tank (it is mid-level down on the side of the tank). This one goes to 84* only and it isn't even showing a temp because it's so high. I also have a glass tube thermometer suctioned to the inside which is reading 91ish. It is at the top of the water, so I'll move it down to mid-level. That would probably explain why the fish are chilling at the bottom of the tank mostly if it's cooler down there.
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

I know the glass thermometer is accurate because I just stuck it in my betta tank which is in a completely different room (normal temp) and is heated at all times to 76*. The thermometer quickly dropped to 76 on the dot. I rinsed it super well and stuck it back in the discus tank... rose to 91/92*
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

Quote Originally Posted by Bree7 View Post
    What do you guys mean, "make sure your heater isn't stuck on"? As in stuck to the side of the tank? It's on suction cups.. the heater isn't even running because it's set for 83/84*. It has no heat to maintain, so it doesn't run.

I have one thermometer that sticks to the side of the tank (it is mid-level down on the side of the tank). This one goes to 84* only and it isn't even showing a temp because it's so high. I also have a glass tube thermometer suctioned to the inside which is reading 91ish. It is at the top of the water, so I'll move it down to mid-level. That would probably explain why the fish are chilling at the bottom of the tank mostly if it's cooler down there.

If the heater is "stucked on " (on and does not go off automatically like it is supposed to), it wouldn't matter what temp you set the heater at.
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 06-24-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    If the heater is "stucked on " (on and does not go off automatically like it is supposed to), it wouldn't matter what temp you set the heater at.
    Oh that makes sense! Nope, I just turned it down and the light went off. I should keep my heater set to the correct temp of 85*, right? Not turn it down..
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

"stuck on" meaning a faulty runaway thermostat. Physically 'feel check' to make sure thermostat is not 'on' when it should be 'off'.

Oh that makes sense! Nope, I just turned it down and the light went off. I should keep my heater set to the correct temp of 85*, right? Not turn it down..
    If it's set to 85 (and the tank temp is 85+) then the light should be 'off'..assuming the thermostat is not defective.

If the water temp was/is 85 + and you have your thermostat set to 85 and it's indicating light is 'on'... you have a defective thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post
    If it's set to 85 (and the tank temp is 85+) then the light should be 'off'..assuming the thermostat is not defective.

If the water temp was/is 85 + and you have your thermostat set to 85 and it's indicating light is 'on'... you have a defective thermostat.
    The light wasn't on permanently, I turned it way up first to the max temp which was 97 (so the light flicked on), then back down to really low, so the indicator light turned off. Either way,I've ordered new Eheim heaters and they should be arriving in the next couple of days...
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

sometimes when you turn the heater up and down manually it does turn on and off, but if you set it in water and leave it alone the light will not turn off, which means that it is stuck in the on position and the heater won't shut off. i have two low watt heaters like that so i use it to warm my aged water barrel.
    simple ideas are the ones that works best
    "The only thing that breeds true in humanity, is Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by mathao View Post
    sometimes when you turn the heater up and down manually it does turn on and off, but if you set it in water and leave it alone the light will not turn off, which means that it is stuck in the on position and the heater won't shut off. i have two low watt heaters like that so i use it to warm my aged water barrel.

Nope, kept an eye on it for the last few hours and it has been off and occasionally it turns on but only in short stints.
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

I had this problem too. Tank norms are 84-86during the day but the new summer heat took it to 92 degrees also! So i found that i run the lights less often to reduce the heat and i leave the tops open. This helps allow more evaporation which in turn helps cool your water. If thats still not enough you can go out to wal-mart or where ever and buy a little PC cooling fan. Set it to fan across the top of your water. it helps TONS with temp regulation when the room gets hot in the summer. These fans shouldnt cost you more than about $15 or so. GL!!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    I had this problem too. Tank norms are 84-86during the day but the new summer heat took it to 92 degrees also! So i found that i run the lights less often to reduce the heat and i leave the tops open. This helps allow more evaporation which in turn helps cool your water. If thats still not enough you can go out to wal-mart or where ever and buy a little PC cooling fan. Set it to fan across the top of your water. it helps TONS with temp regulation when the room gets hot in the summer. These fans shouldnt cost you more than about $15 or so. GL!!

The temp is down to 87* this morning, still not as low as I'd like it to be, but I'll keep my ac running and hopefully it will drop a couple more degrees. I'm nervous to keep the tops open because I've heard so many stories about discus jumping out...
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast