ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrived home, good/bad news

Cool Arrived home, good/bad news

Man,its been a tough 2 days of travel but I finally arrived home last night. I came home to having 75% of my fry either dead or suffering from bacteria infection. I ended up scrapping all of them. It was a chance I tried to take but the wife couldn't put forth the time/effort like I do. She was handling the 2 kids and all sorts of crazy stuff that seemed to be going on while I was gone. Anyways, she left last Monday for the states so none of my fish were being fed and the little ones had zero attention for 7 days, it was not a good turn out for them. She also left the freezer door open and all my mix was warm/wet. GRRRR The good news is that all my adults are in stellar shape and after a few days of some TLC, they will be sent to breeding tanks. LOL Another good thing is that I had a problem with my Solomons a few months back that turned out to be suspected poisoning from some manzanita wood that I had added to their tank. I had been storing the wood outside for over a year and something must have got into the wood. I boiled the wood before adding it to the tank but still, their seemed to be a large amount of black fungus coming the wood. Anyways, long story short, the Solomons went off food for an entire month in my care, then I left them while I went on Vacation for another 21 days (without food). I get home last night and they are up in front, begging for food. Threw in a little Prime Reef and they all ate. That was a relief, as I can get my breeders to make more babies but I can't replace the Solomons. Hopefully I can bring them to breeding condition and eventually use their offspring. Man....going on vacation is great but it blows sometimes too.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Default Re: Arrived home, good/bad news

Welcome back home Eddie, sorry to hear your loss, those fry were looking in top notch condition aswell! Well at least your solomons are back in action and your pairs can get back to breeding machines

Looking forward for updates,
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

I'm sorry about your problems, Eddie, but glad that you are home safe and sound and that your adults are OK. Not everyone can care for fish, but I'd be royally pissed about the freezer.
    Mama Bear

glad you made it home....long trip for you, for sure....I hope the soloman's keep up eating....take care.....give those fish of yours the TLC they need.....
    ps...seemed funny not seeing your replies on simply....lol

Eddie,

Glad to hear that you had a safe trip. Sorry to hear of all your frustrations. It's nice to hear that there is a bit of a silver lining though!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm sorry about your problems, Eddie, but glad that you are home safe and sound and that your adults are OK. Not everyone can care for fish, but I'd be royally pissed about the freezer.
    ROTFLMAO!!!! That is hilarious Liz! To be honest, that does really piss me off. I had 2 batches of some killer mix that my fish were murdering and all that work and ingredients down the drain. Welcome to my life.....its not just when I go on vacation either. LOL

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Thanks everybody, just glad to be back. The 2 days of travel SUCKED!!!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Hey Eddie,

Glad you made it home okay. Unfortunatly I can understand the mixed feelings about going on vacation to come home to this. It just sucks when things don't go right. Glad your adults are all okay and that it's just the juvies. Now get going and breed some more little ones
    Evelyn
    Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can!

You're home buddy, it's ALL good news!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Thanks Evelyn and Ed...it feels good being with the fishes again.
    Visit Eddie's Place

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Glad to hear you made it home safely Eddie. Sorry to hear about the losses though, fish and food. I'm sure those adult fish must have been so happy to see your face peering in at them when you got home. You will soon have lots of fry, get those fish a spawnin' on those cones!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Glad to hear you made it home safely Eddie. Sorry to hear about the losses though, fish and food. I'm sure those adult fish must have been so happy to see your face peering in at them when you got home. You will soon have lots of fry, get those fish a spawnin' on those cones!
    Barb

Heck yeah, cones are ready for action! Should be no time at all before they are spawning. I dont want to get them going yet though, need to condition them for a bit. They have to be weak from the long time with no food or water changes.

Take care Barb,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Hey Eddie
    welcome back , u had the longest trip of them all !!
    man, it sux that all fry didnt make it , really sorry to hear that , knowing how excited and trilled u were about them , but as u say -not the end of the world -u'll have more in no time especially with Barbs magic cones in action

Take care
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

As long as you made it back OK that's all that counts! You will have eggs on the cone in a few days so nothing to worry about there!

Great meeting you my friend, look forward to our next round of beers!

Take care,
    -jim
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Man,its been a tough 2 days of travel but I finally arrived home last night. I came home to having 75% of my fry either dead or suffering from bacteria infection. I ended up scrapping all of them. It was a chance I tried to take but the wife couldn't put forth the time/effort like I do. She was handling the 2 kids and all sorts of crazy stuff that seemed to be going on while I was gone. Anyways, she left last Monday for the states so none of my fish were being fed and the little ones had zero attention for 7 days, it was not a good turn out for them. She also left the freezer door open and all my mix was warm/wet. GRRRR The good news is that all my adults are in stellar shape and after a few days of some TLC, they will be sent to breeding tanks. LOL Another good thing is that I had a problem with my Solomons a few months back that turned out to be suspected poisoning from some manzanita wood that I had added to their tank. I had been storing the wood outside for over a year and something must have got into the wood. I boiled the wood before adding it to the tank but still, their seemed to be a large amount of black fungus coming the wood. Anyways, long story short, the Solomons went off food for an entire month in my care, then I left them while I went on Vacation for another 21 days (without food). I get home last night and they are up in front, begging for food. Threw in a little Prime Reef and they all ate. That was a relief, as I can get my breeders to make more babies but I can't replace the Solomons. Hopefully I can bring them to breeding condition and eventually use their offspring. Man....going on vacation is great but it blows sometimes too.

Take care,

Eddie
    Sorry to hear about the young and food bud, but the most important things made it !! I always say " if Discus were easy, they'd be $.25 each not $250.00 ea " It was a real pleasure talking to you the other day....nice to put a voice to those emails.

Always here for ya pal, should you ever need anything !!

WELCOME HOME :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast