ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southeast Discus Enthusiast 1st meeting

Default Southeast Discus Enthusiast 1st meeting

SEDE's first meeting took place today. The meeting was held at one of our members homes, Marty K (Chopper). We had 11 members who came form Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee for a barbeque and informal meeting. We enjoyed Marty's hospitality and a chance to see his fish room and Koi ponds. He has 3 ponds connected by a running stream with waterfalls and some Koi that must be 18 to 20 inches.

The big topic of conversation...............Hosting the 2012 NADA convention!

Here are some pics of the gathering.

Default Re: Southeast Discus Enthusiast 1st meeting

What a beautiful place he has! By the looks of things I'd havebeen right in my element had I been there. Y'all talked about the right thing. Fingers crossed.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What a beautiful place he has! By the looks of things I'd havebeen right in my element had I been there. Y'all talked about the right thing. Fingers crossed.
    You were missed Liz and you were mentioned along with the beautiful discus you brought home from the show.

Registered Member

Thanks Marty for allowing us into your home. It was great meeting you and your gracious wife. Oh and the barbecue was awesome. Thanks also to all who attended. I enjoyed talking discus with everyone and having a chance meet in person so many discus enthusiasts in our area.
    Scott

Larry, I am watching you !

Looks like a Great meeting , I would like to see Ken in the group.

Roberto.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Larry, I am watching you !

Looks like a Great meeting , I would like to see Ken in the group.

Roberto.
    It's going to be hard to live up to your expectations but I will try my best.

The meeting was a excellent start.

Registered Member

I think everyone had a fun time, and I look forward to our future get together. (Sometime near Oct??)

Marty's place was very nice, and as can be seen his ponds were the dream of any pond keeper.

I am all for meeting at different members places if possible, and we really should think about car pooling more.

(Oh and I figured out that I have 9 chairs in my apartment... so while I do have a courtyard I can use, I doubt any gathering will be held at my place.)

Anyways it was great to meet everyone and I look forward to seeing everyone again.

PS. Roberto if Ken ever is free I am certain he will go to the meetings. This time he decided to do a competition for shark fishing of the coast of GA instead. I think there are ~30 people that are getting e-mails but as seen about half either had prior engagements or were too far away to make it.
    Last edited by ikevi; 06-27-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Registered Member

Great to see that we are finally starting to get several regional/local discus clubs up and running. Hopefully they will be maintained and can keep going! Wish I could have been there. Just a little too far North of a drive for me though.

-Rya
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Had a blast, It was great meeting everyone. Especially those I had never met. We will keep this going & growing.
    Thank You again Marty & thank your wife also for being gracious first time hosts.
    More pics to come.
    Chad

Registered Member

I too would like to send a big Thank You to Marty and his wife for their hospitality and warm welcome to their wonderful home!! Awesome place!! It was fun getting to know the other members of this new group and look forward to seeing everyone again!
    Also, Thank You Larry for all you do!!

David

Larry, you have already reached the expectations, from here on is all extra .. Keep up the Great work . it is amazing the clubs forming after te NADA show ! Dr Ravi of Ky is thinking about getting a group in this parts .

Roberto Munoz

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Larry, you have already reached the expectations, from here on is all extra .. Keep up the Great work . it is amazing the clubs forming after te NADA show ! Dr Ravi of Ky is thinking about getting a group in this parts .

Roberto Munoz
    Thanks for the encourgment!!

If you have a passion for this hobby then from a selfish standpoint this is the direction you have to work towards. It is through local/regional organizations that you grow the hobby. The more people that are brought into the hobby then the more resourses that will be used to grow the hobby. It really boils down to supply and demand.

I'd like to add my thanks to Marty and his wife for their gracious hospitality. The meeting was well worth the long drive and getting acquainted with all the attendees made it doubly so. Looking forward to future meetings.

John

Registered Member

Well, I have to say that our little gathering was just awesome, and it was great meeting and chatting to everyone . A big thanks to Marty for hosting, and to Larry for setting the meeting up. I'm already looking forward to our next get-together in the fall!

Colin

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Looks like you all had a wonderful time! I think I will look at a map and see how far away you are from the coast of NC. I just may have to attend the next one. Fingers crossed for NADA 2012 in your area!!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast