ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PB X Purple Snakeskin + PB X Marlboro Red

Real Name
    Joshua

Exclamation PB X Purple Snakeskin + PB X Marlboro Red

I have two young breeding pairs. First pair is Pigeon Blood male and Marlboro Red female. Second pair is Pigeon Blood male and Purple Snakeskin female. Any predictions on how the fry will turn out? Are they worth breeding? (I'm not breeding for profit, I just rather not have any ugly babies)

Default Re: PB X Purple Snakeskin + PB X Marlboro Red

The first pairing sounds good, I'd like to see a pic of the purple SS and PB before I can comment. In either case you will have to cull for pepper.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joshua

I'll upload some pictures on Tuesday; sorry I don't have a camera handy. I read up on the colour inheritance thread and found that the fry from SS and PB should contain some turks, a few SS and lots of pigeons with varying amounts of pepper. So culling is definitely required when the time is right. It's unfortunate but part of breeding.

You should only get turqs if the pb is carrying a barred recessive gene. I wouldn't cross a pb with a non pb because I would have to make a LOT of culls and it seems such a shame to have to cull healthy, large, nicely formed but peppered discus all because I mixed the parents for no reason but to get fry.