ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Tankmates

Registered Member

Default Discus Tankmates

Morning all
    I have decided to make room for a marine tank but that means mixing my Discus tank with my 300ltr main tank. I was slowly going to crank my main tank up to 28 deg from the 26 it is usually, remove the more aggressive cichlids and add the discus. PH is about 6.5 in both tanks

The fish I plan on leaving in the main tank are as follows: Panda Corys Adolfois cory,ottos, bristlenose, clown plec, inspector plec, Rummynoses, cardinals, 2 Keyhole cichlids, 1 Port acara (sheepshead)
    2 Golden wonder killiefish.

Anybody see any problems you comments will be appreciated.

thanks

Smile Re: Discus Tankmates

out of personal experience the corys, ottos, plecs, and cardinals are fine. ive heard of plecs eating the slime off of discus, so you should watch for that, but ive never had it happen. i dont know about the others. good luck with the discus!

Default Re: Discus Tankmates

plec to eat slime on discus once they are big enough

Registered Member

There are always a lot of posts on plecs eating discus slime and it does happen once in a while, but to tell you the truth I have always kept plecs with discus and NEVER had a problem. Bristlenose, royals, etc. I would advise to just do it and watch them. The worst that would happen is they would bug the discus a bit and you move them....if you feed your fish well, they should be fine.
    JMO,
    Harriett

I have had experience with Otos going after discus slime coat - from the research I've done, every once in a while you can get "rogue" otos, which are also called "attack otos".
    So beware - watch them carefully.

I have a 2.5" discus with 3 2" festivum. They are perfect tank mates. They don't bother each other at all. They are all still young but so far I see no problems at all. My ram on the other hand is a punk and has chased my discus a few times.

Do Royal whiptails do well in discus tanks . Do they handle the temps ?