ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Some help understanding water parameters please

Registered Member

Default Some help understanding water parameters please

I have had my discus for about 3 months now and so far all is going well. I am noticing though they are ploughing through more and more beefheart everyday. So far I have been changing about 80l of the 300l of water once a week with 50l being RO and then the remaining 30l coming from the kitchen tap with prime added. I have two large canister filters on the tank and the Ammonia, nitrate are at 0 and nitrate (after a week) has never been higher than 10. PH is 7.5.
    I would like to increase the water changes (due to increase in the feeding) to at least twice (and more if time permits) but with the cost of RO water near where I am it would cost quite a bit. I am considering using tap water and a HMA filter (rather than adding prime) but would like to know what you guys think about the parameters.
    The tap water after being left in a bucket for a couple of hours is
    PH around 7.5 to 8(really not easy to tell between the two)
    GH 14 (in german degrees)
    KH 10 (in german degrees)
    Nitrate 1
    ammonia and nitrite 0 (which is lucky )

The tank water is currently (water change 4 days ago)
    PH 7.5
    GH 8
    KH 4
    Nitrate between 1 and 5
    Ammonia and Nitrite 0

Do you agree it would be ok to just start increasing the water changes and use only tap/hma water or would you still recommend on using RO?

Am I right in thinking RO units take an age to fill a drum to store water and there is a lot of waste water? Otherwise I would consider one of these.

I have been using the JBL test kits but was considering getting a PH test meter, worth it or not?

Also, since I have added the discus (think its to do with their diet rather than them) there is a brown slime/algae on the spray bars and on the glass but under the gravel line. Any ideas on what this is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ps in case it is important I have five, 3-4inch discus, some cardinals, 2 rams, a bristlenose and 5 torpedo barbs (completely harmless with the discus so far and not as manic as they used to be). AS the discus get bigger I may look into rehoming the barbs if need be.

Thanks for taking the time to read

Default Re: Some help understanding water parameters please

I can see no reason not to go with the HMA only. If you have a large swing in pH from water straight fromthe tap and water that has been aerated for 12 hours you need to age your water before using it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks Liz,

when you say age the water do you mean leave it overnight in containers? Or to have an airline in it overnight?
    The tap water I put in a bucket and left on the side over 12 hours ago, still has a PH 7.5 so do you think this would be ok? I am assuming by swing you mean if it had risen or fallen by more than .5?

Sorry if this sounds silly but I dont want to shock or stress them by changing their routine too much but I think they will benefit more in the long run by more frequent water changes

Thanks again

If you age your water, it is often done by agitating the water through airation, this ensures that the PH is stable when you place it into your tank. A sudden change in PH will cause stress to your fish. So yes, it do mean leaving it in a water storage overnight, but it is only essential if your PH changes. Since you are in London like me, your PH shouldn't be 'bouncing' as your water is hard.

Edit: From what I have read, PH will change if there is undissolved gas. In a planted tank where CO2 is needed, the PH is usually low (high?).
    Last edited by DiscusKev; 07-13-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake & more info.
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

I've only been keeping discus since June 2006 but have never used RO or used a HMA filter. I use 100% tap water, aged, heated, agitated & treated (Prime) but I understand that for some, RO or HMA is needed due to the parameters of their tap water.

Have you established that your own water isn't suitable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Robyn

Kev is right. You need to agitate the water either with an air stone or tiny little pump. Test straight from the tap and again after 12 hours of agitation. I don't like a pH swing of more than .4. Less than that is better.

In either case I don't see that you will need RO. Until, of course the time comes when you decide to breed.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Kev is right. You need to agitate the water either with an air stone or tiny little pump. Test straight from the tap and again after 12 hours of agitation. I don't like a pH swing of more than .4. Less than that is better.

In either case I don't see that you will need RO. Until, of course the time comes when you decide to breed.

Ditto
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."