AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: doing water changes

Registered Member

Default Re: doing water changes

The python is definitely a step in the right direction.

There are lots of ways to speed up the drain time, like using the Jehmco safety siphon on the tank end of the python hose, or just a power head. The safety siphon is nice because you don't have to pay attention- no danger of leaving the fish flopping in the bottom of an empty tank. Putting the outlet end of the drain hose as low as possible really helps, too, like in the bottom of the bathtub with something to hold it down.

Some people's water won't allow them to fill from the tap- it's loaded with dissolved gas, particularly CO2. Best practice is to keep the hose above the water level in the tank, so the water splashes in, which will help gasses escape. Even better is the use of a degassing tower, something as simple as a bucket filled with bioballs, holes drilled in the bottom, set on top of the tank, with a sprayer on the water hose at the top. Water gets sprayed in at the top, cascades down the media, drains into the tank, and gasses escape in the process....

Treating, aging, heating and aerating the water first, then pumping it ito the tank is probably the best method- it's what I do, but not everybody can do that...

Real Name
    Rick

I use one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simer-1-12-hp-No...item4aa2c395e6

You can find something simular at any Harbor Freight for around 40-50 bucks. I use a garden hose on the exit, out the nearest patio door, window, or sump pit. On the in side I have a 6 foot section of hose connected to a 1/2 piece of rigid intake tubing. Works great for vaccuuming poo of the bottom, doesn't lose a prime like a siphon and can be used for siphoning floating debris as well.

I do verying degrees of water changes on my 6 tanks daily, (only 3-4 have discus), but each discus tank gets a minimum of a 20% daily change with a good bottom vac (poo, uneaten food). At least one tank gets a 60% water change everyday and no tank goes longer than two days without a 60% change.

I flush the intake hose before changing tanks and wipe the outside of the hose that gets inserted into the tank with h202. The little pump is worth its weigh in gold for me.

I'm quite sure what you're doing is just fine - if your tap water in Kamloops is coming out @ the 6.5 range, you should have nothing to worry about, so keep doing what you're doing, i.e. just de-chlorinating/ de-chloramining with same temp. water as in your tank - adding without ageing.
    Only thing you may have to watch out for - (by fairly frequent PH testing), is that your PH doesn't drop too low, on the acidity-wise scale, through 'ageing' in your tank between w/c's, particularly if it's planted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123