AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rack of tanks

Registered Member

Default Re: New rack of tanks

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    I hate that I don't have the skills to build or draw something like this...I love the fact that you have a pair breeding already!

Rodrigo
    You read my mind!!!
    This looks like a great project, Matt. Looking forward to seeing the actual set-up.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

I didn't want to get to complicated with this, just a practical setup for me. I decided to keep the tanks long ways on the rack to allow me photography options and better viewing while still attempting to breed. But I did extend the shelf more width wise, just incase...never know about the future.

I did not go the notching route, I looked at many different designs on the boards here before I finally chose but I think mine will hold up just fine and serve my needs. Its based on the design Dan and Hans both use in their rooms.

I painted it black too. Wanted something other then the wood look. Lets hope black works well, I think it should. If not I can always repaint lol. I also still need to assemble it (paint is drying overnight) and get some plywood or other solid material for the shelves, any suggestions? I usually use just plywood. My house stays really warm, winter and summer living in SC so I never have problems keepthing the heat in the tanks.

I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow, assuming I complete it. We've been busy here, had to deal with this upon my arrival home from the beach. Heavy storms. Might be hard to tell from the picture, but its a fairly large oak tree that fell. To bad, now its just pine trees out front...yuck!

If anyone wants some help with google sketchup let me know. Not a pro at all, but I use it for fun and might be able to help out. Or I can always draw something up for you.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Finally here are the pictures of it setup and running. Still working on cable management and as you can see, only 3 tanks are on there now. Only have 3 pairs and i'm waiting to determine the sex of the Alenquer pair so I might have to split those up into the 4th tank. Right now that spot is held by my power center. I'll probably end up getting a second power center as well and they will both be mounted somewhere. Possibly under the top shelf side by side? We'll see.

WB pair top left, Alenquer crosses top right, Albino BD throwbacks bottom left. The ABD throwbacks had eggs on the cone again, but the male is still to immature so they turn white.

Pay no attention to my terrible salt water nano up there, it will be broken down very soon lol.
    -Matt

That is so cool Matt, neatly done. I was wondering what that tank is doing up there, guess you solved my mystery before I even gotten a chance to ask

Keep us updated, will be very keen to see the final final result
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks haha. Yeah thats my Saltwater tank, used to be awesome but through deployment and other stuff going on its really taken a nose dive and i've lost intrest in it. Can't tell you how excited i'll be to get that 250w MH out of the room...heats it up like a furnace!! Does give a nice shimmer in all of the discus tanks though...

And I really really really recommend those power centers. Its a "DJ Power Center". $15-20 each and now I can control everything with a switch. No more unplugging heaters for water changes, forgetting to plug them back in, no reaching to turn on each light. All I do is flip switches. So easy. Each power center holds 8 plugs so it can easily handle my 2 air pumps, 2 lights, and 4 heaters.
    -Matt

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

You will soon have the cones for 2 of those tanks! Good luck with the whole project. Is that tree in your yard? Did it fall on part of that vehicle?
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Barb, the tree luckily fell while we were away so no cars were in the driveway. I came home to find it like that.

Sending you a PM Barb.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    ...I can control everything with a switch. No more unplugging heaters for water changes, forgetting to plug them back in, no reaching to turn on each light. All I do is flip switches. So easy. Each power center holds 8 plugs so it can easily handle my 2 air pumps, 2 lights, and 4 heaters.
    Technology go so far doesn't it, I see a web series of a reef tank on Youtube and they control EVERYTHING with the computer, all cables connected and functioned using some software. It sure beats me! I keep thinking, woah that must be an expensive 'gizmo'

Good to know that no cars were damaged
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12