ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Flake food

Registered Member

Default Re: Best Flake food

Hi Guys,

I buy it on Ebay UK, and used lots before, ON discus Flake, Tropical D50. But now i just use Beefheart Flake and BBS flake, both have 48% protein and about 2% fiber, don't remember right now the other components, just that it doesn't cloud the water and also my discus love it! Oh, and it's really cheap compared with a regular brand like tropical or ON or tetra.

BTW, IMO 47% should be the minimum protein ammount in discus food, maybe i'm wrong but it works with me.

If anyone needs some info, PM me, so i can give u the name of the company.

Best regards.

I've been keeping fish since 1980, and I have never come across a prepared fish food better than the Omega One flake foods, and pelleted foods.

I use their color flakes at least once a day, and also use their veggie rounds at least once a day too.

Omega One offers freezed dried foods too, but I have not found all that much of a difference between the Omega One freeze dried products compared to their competitors freeze dried products like San Fransisco Bay Brand for example which is more affordable than Omega One's freeze dried products.

They harvest their own kelp in Alaska, and get all their other seafood ingredients directly from the docks when the fishermen unload their catch. They only use whole salmon which includes the skin, the bones, and everything else. All of the seafood they incorporate is human food grade.

Other companies may use salmon fillets, but by using the whole fish, Omega One is creating products that better simulate what fish eat in the wild. When a fish eats another fish in the wild, it is not just eating the fillets. It is usually eating the whole fish.

By eating the whole fish they consume so many more essential nutrients than those found in just one body part of the fish they are eating. For example, the bones are loaded with calcium, and by using the whole salmon in their fish foods, they are introducing the essential nutrients in ratios that duplicate what fish would come across eating fish in the wild.

Sure, Omega One is a little more expensive than the competition, but I firmly believe that is because they are able to offer what their competition is not. In a nutshell, they offer the finest fish foods ever manufactured.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Moriarty; 09-16-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typo

Registered Member

where can i get prime reef? i'm in chicago illinois

Registered Member

Hi Jayson...I order mine, but when in a pinch, I get it at Ocean Design on Irving Park, just before Narragansett in the plaza...Bill

Real Name
    Francis

Those Dainichi foods are good too like the Dainichi Marine FX

http://www.aquariumcenter.biz/store/...FX-2-oz-Small/

or Color Supreme

http://www.dainichi.com/cichlid_food_color.html

Quote Originally Posted by Palue View Post
    Eddie, we have had so many foods banned here. I have a koi pond and all the koi foods like Hikari were taken away at the beginning of this year. All I have heard is its due to the type of proteins they use in the foods from Asia. We have just now been able to get a top notch koi food called Dainichi back here again. I know there were lots of other fish and pet foods pulled off the shelves too. I did not know that Prime Reef was one of them though, interesting.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

I feed Angels plus earthworm flakes and Hi-Pro growth flakes.

Registered Member

Everyone seems to to like ON Prime Reef, so I went out today and bought some and some ON Formula 1, only my juvenile discus will eat them...the adults still won't touch anything other than bloodworms and beefheart. Maybe I think I'm going to give the Super garlic beefheart flakes by inland empire a try.

Quote Originally Posted by xthao3 View Post
    Everyone seems to to like ON Prime Reef, so I went out today and bought some and some ON Formula 1, only my juvenile discus will eat them...the adults still won't touch anything other than bloodworms and beefheart. Maybe I think I'm going to give the Super garlic beefheart flakes by inland empire a try.
    It may take time, not too common but if you only feed bloodowrms and beefheart, you will have to train them to eat flakes.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I feed my discus flake food from Plymouth discus in the uk. I feed Garlic plus, beef heart , and earthworm flakes. I never had any luck with any other flake brand.

Registered Member

-Eddie: Yea I figured, I mean 2 out of the 4 would try to eat it, and then spit it back out. I'm going to keep trying different flakes and see which one works best for them.

Quote Originally Posted by xthao3 View Post
    -Eddie: Yea I figured, I mean 2 out of the 4 would try to eat it, and then spit it back out. I'm going to keep trying different flakes and see which one works best for them.

I'd actually hold out and only feed the PR until they start getting addicted to the stuff. You'll be hard pressed to find a better flake nutrient wise, that can compete with PR.
    Visit Eddie's Place

ON F1 & F2.. flake or Pellet? jus wondering....
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

O/N Prime Reef flake, on some sites is said to have( fresh seafood mix ) listed as the #1 ing.
    then they break down of what is in the mix.

Sounds like MEAL to me. Also some sites show diff. protein counts.

Will the real Prime Reef flake please stand up.

Daveo

Prime Reef, thats easy. LOL
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I've been feeding Omega "first Flake" and "veggie flakes" for 9 months - 9 for my first discus and 1.5 months for my new discus. They ate the One flake only after a 30 hour starvation period (I would go away for the weekend). The would eat the flake, but not with "gusto". Today, again, after a 30 hour starvation period, I fed the veggie flakes. Then I tried for the first time, Prime flake. Instead of picking at the food like they do with the Omega flakes, they ate with relish. I will still feed them the veggie flakes, simply so that they can get some veggies in their diet, but I will switch to Prime for their everyday flake food.

Also, I spoke to Willie at the MFK fish show, and he told me there are some people who feed their discus beefheart exclusively. Is there anyone out there who does this?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast