ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: Blood worm usage poll....

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • We feed Freeze dried Bloodworms and frozen Bloodworms

18 14.29%
  • We feed only Frozen Blood worms

62 49.21%
  • We feed only Freeze Dried Blood worms

4 3.17%
  • We feed both Freeze dried and frozen Blood worms and are allergic to them

3 2.38%
  • We feed only Frozen Blood worms and are allergic to them

12 9.52%
  • We feed only Freeze dried Blood worms and are allergic to them

0 0%
  • WE don't feed either frozen or Freeze dried Bloodworms... we are too allergic

7 5.56%
  • WE don't feed either frozen or Freeze dried Bloodworms...no allergies though,

20 15.87%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blood worm poll and allergies

Default Re: Blood worm poll ands allergies

I am going to boost this old thread by Al. For years, many of us here have talked about bloodworm allergies. Some even told us it was crazy and wasn't possible. Now AMAZONAS Magazine is doing a survey about it.

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2018...-on-you-short/

We are not alone. It's said that allergies including asthmatic reactions occur in about 20% of the people who come into contact with hemoglobin in chironomid larvae (bloodworms). This isn't just in fish food, but also in areas of the world with high populations of naturally-occurring midge larvae.

I'd encourage everyone here, whether you have the allergy or not, to participate in their survey. It's brief and only took me about 2 minutes to complete.

Default Re: Blood worm poll ands allergies

Bumpety bump
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Shari

Default Re: Blood worm poll and allergies

I feed both frozen and freeze dried bloodworms and through the years of feeding these little red larvae..I have developed an allergy to them. I do wash my hands well after handling but my eyes get itchy,red and just irritated. I sneeze and that’s about it for me. It never fails after thawing the frozen form or opening the freeze dried... I’m stubborn so my allergic reactions would need to worse before I stop completely of serving this up. I do feed blackworm it’s probably better nutrition but I like to feed different things to my fishy friends.

Real Name
    Francis

Bump +
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

Good read .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

I’m
    Allergic. If I touch my eyes they are puffed up and red and a cut on my ha ce swells up. Freeze dried are also no good. So I don’t use.

Registered Member

April, are you referring to fdblackw or fdbloodw ? I was very allergic to
    blood worms and haven't used them in years. fdblackw don't bother me at all.
    Jay

Real Name
    Tom

Anyone allergic to any other foods they fed their fish ? The San Francisco Bay guy said they place warning labels on all their frozen food.
    Is there a time line for how long after feeding blood worms before you can safely place arm in the tank ?
    The one link said like mentioned by Al the hemoglobin contains the protein that causes the allergy.
    So does anyone think that if you soaked the worms which removes much of the red [ presumably hemoglobin] that there would be less of an allergic reaction ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Frank

I still periodically feed bloodworms but if I get my hands into them and do not rinse, I am allergic.
    Once, I rubbed my eye without rinsing off my hands (before I started using cubes) and you would have thought I had pink eye. Pretty unpleasant and took several days to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Anyone allergic to any other foods they fed their fish ? The San Francisco Bay guy said they place warning labels on all their frozen food.
    Is there a time line for how long after feeding blood worms before you can safely place arm in the tank ?
    The one link said like mentioned by Al the hemoglobin contains the protein that causes the allergy.
    So does anyone think that if you soaked the worms which removes much of the red [ presumably hemoglobin] that there would be less of an allergic reaction ?

I've never had a problem with any fish food that I know of. Recently though, I have developed an allergic reaction to something in the fish tank water. It's no big deal. Little places itch on my right arm that spends the most time in the water every evening. It's itches so I scratch it and I get little scabby places. When I got to the point where it started to annoy me I bought an anti inflammatory cream and put that on my arm after WC. It come back from time to time but I know how to fix it so it's not a problem.
    Mama Bear

I am currently keeping Malawi cichlids and was using freeze dried blood worms along with freeze dried black worms.
    I've always been allergic to blood worms but figured the freeze dried would be better.
    Found that when changing water, I felt terrible...like real bad.
    Stopped using the blood worms altogether and stuck to the black worms only and now no problem at all.
    Chris V.

Real Name
    Dave

I quit feeding bloodworms (frozen was all I could get) when I found out how much better blackworms were nutrition wise for the fish.

I feed Al's freeze dried blackworms and I feed frozen blackworms.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234