AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breeding discus in hard water, is it possible?

Registered Member

Default Re: breeding discus in hard water, is it possible?

well we'll see how things go. they have spawned tonight so updates will be regular as things progress.

Registered Member

OOOOHHHHHH never thought of doing this!!! I will try it. I have two breeding pair of discus one breeds every week the other breeds about once a month or so. And before my hardness was much lower I got successful spawns. After a substrate change it is not successful the eggs will all turn white. I will definitely give this a try thank you

Registered Member

Any kind of changes can shut down a spawning pair it doesn't always have to be the water hardness. You an backtrack any changes made. If you still think it's the hardness, up out the eggs have a hour after spawning and place in in RO in 3 days you will know if the male is fertile or not.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 09-30-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by DaydreamDiscus View Post
    @Willie - If you change out 50% W/C with RO, won't the discus go into shock from pH? How do you combat that? How fast do you put the new water in? My pH is 7.6-7.8 tap.
    Sorry, just saw this.

Discus do not go into shock from an R/O change. In fact, I used to do 100% W/C using straight R/O. So I drain all the water out and add in pure R/O. The fish typically spawns within 2 hours of the change. Obviously the fish won't spawn if they feel stress. Later on, I realize changing that much wasn't necessarily.

Far too much is made of pH shock. Back when I was taking my discus to fish competitions, they would travel in buckets filled with straight R/O. So they go from my tank (tap water) directly into the buckets. They go from the buckets into the show tank - using the R/O water in the bucket. Most places here in the Midwest have hard water and high pH, but they do fine.

Not doing water changes and letting pH drop in the fish tank - that's a problem. Clean water is never a problem.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12