AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Got free swimming finally

Real Name
    Julian

Default Got free swimming finally

Well, I was following an advise from my dear friend Kenny give a break to the
    my pair of ABDt , so I notice a cone full of eggs, and of course went artificial.
    And this 10 spawn turn out to be very vigourous from the start .I mean you can tell when you see wriglers in clumps attached together, anyway no all of them took the bbs, but the one's that took it are about 10 day's now doing pretty good, on the other hand we have a divorce since the female ABDt is more interested in a leopard than his ex they
    just have an argument a few minutes ago, you know the mouth bite/kiss style
    and just got me wet while on the sofa.
    In any case .I guess I can take them to counseling and put them again together since they already have a family.
    I also attribute the sucessful spawn to fresh live black worms, only thing I did different .
    I will put pics soon.

Registered Member

Default Re: Got free swimming finally

excellent ..the live food triggerd them for you .

Thats great news Julian !
    can u share a bit about artificial growing , did u do it from day 1 of free swimming ?

Best of luck!
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Real Name
    Julian

http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/z...81/fry%20ABDt/

Vera I went straight with brine shrimp from the begining, I suplement with a50 micron gp. but I don't think they took it.I use the biggest bowl. I could find
    6 quarts, so I don't have to risk it with air mortality during night time , although I put the night light (very dim blue diode). about 4 to 5 water changes a day, I hatch the brine shrimp twice a day and split some of the afternoon hatch, clean it and save it, in a regular drinking water bottle with salinity 1.022 in the refrigerator , revive and feed in the morning. I feed fresh hatch in my lunch break, and another around 4 pm. when ever I see dead brine shrimp in the bottom I vacum it. but let the swimming in the water
    At night they get a 100%. by the way since the bowl is kind of big is not floating in a regular 10 gal tank , but in a 35 cube tank . they are get in straight tap water since free swimming (aged and declorinated w start right)
    The best clue they are eating bbs is you will see every once in a while how they spin in circle trying to swallow the shrimp then they go back straigh swimming looking for another one.

Thank u Julian , what is the survivle rate of fry , i tried few times the smallest grade of BBS , but only 50% of fry made it
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Real Name
    Julian

About the same , problably 45% . I flood the bowl with bbs so they have to bump with it. There is an old style of using only the smallest bbs and powdered egg yolk . I couldn't get any here to suplement ; I think the results are about the same that with small micron golden pearl.
    Now I just start to decapsulated the bbs since they are growing and becoming glotonus don't want them to eat the shells. Next time I going artificial , i will try to get hand of some rotifers (live of course).I think this should increase the survival rate at least to 70% or more.
    Last edited by Pardal; 08-14-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: mispell