ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solar (PV) arrays......

Default Re: Solar (PV) arrays......

Fortunately, my property's elevation and landscape works to my favor and you're definitely right about most of the US falling in a lower solar radiation zone. http://freesunpower.com/radiation.php

It pays the DIYer to research A LOT and network, network, network. There are even online training courses available and at my age I've become more skeptical and jaded about getting good information from any one source, so I'm good with investing a lot of leg work.
    Last edited by David Rose; 08-17-2010 at 08:44 AM.

David,

You said a mouthful there and I couldn't agree more.

I did a LOT of leg work before taking the plunge. I admire your motivation!

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Fortunately, my property's elevation and landscape works to my favor and you're definitely right about most of the US falling in a lower solar radiation zone. http://freesunpower.com/radiation.php

It pays the DIYer to research A LOT and network, network, network. There are even online training courses available and at my age I've become more skeptical and jaded about getting good information from any one source, so I'm good with investing a lot of leg work.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    And the hurricane winds we get here almost yearly would probably blow them right off the roof.
    Talk to your installer. There are systems made to meet Miami/Dade's hurricane codes, toughest in the nation. Here in SW Florida, 175 MPH standards are expected.

Jeff

Here's a few other up an coming technologies for the production of elecrtricity.... just thought this was interesting: From MSNBC

Artificial leaves and trees?

SolarBotanic Leaves, observers will note, convert sunlight into energy efficiently to stay alive through photosynthesis. Now scientists are racing to create artificial leaves and trees to power our lives as well. A team at Imperial College London is trying to build leaves that mimic photosynthesis to generate clean fuels such as hydrogen and methanol, The Guardian newspaper reports.

Another company, London-based SolarBotanic, is in the R&D stage of building artificial trees fitted with "nanoleaves" that generate electricity from sunlight and heat. In addition, piezoelectric generators capture energy from the wind, sound and rain. In theory, the trees will blend in with their surroundings, providing an aesthetically appealing source of energy. An illustration of an artificial hornbeam tree is shown here

Solar power from outer space may not be such a far-out idea after all. California energy utility Pacific Gas & Electric agreed to purchase 200 megawatts of electricity that Solaren Corp., a startup company, plans to beam down from solar panels in Earth orbit beginning in mid-2016. The companies said the energy should be competitive with other forms of energy production when it comes to performance and price.

While the specifics of the set up are not yet public, this artist's rendering shows how a space solar power system might work. An advantage over ground-based solar power is the ability of space solar satellites to generate power 24 hours a day — as they are unaffected by cloudy days and Earth's day-night cycle.

Cool stuff in my book!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great...I can have my very own "Rain Forrest Cafe" here in Harrisburg Ever heard of them?

Registered Member

We have a friend in NJ who installed solar panels throughout her 5 acre yard. She loved what they did for her electric bill and was selling power back to JCP&L and all was fine until she went to list her home for sale. Three years later she can't give the place away!!! The panels are such an eyesore no one wants her home. If you can put them on your roof that is one thing but.....

I guess that can be true, but you think buyers would favor the benefits. Roof installation is only possible if you have southern exposure due to maximum productivity, but that could change with the newer cells being developed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123