AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can chicken be feed?

Default can chicken be feed?

hello .. can chicken be feed or beef meat ?

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: can chicken be feed?

I have used chicken breasts in the past.....imo beefhearts has more proteins to grow bigger discus
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Handling raw chicken is not a good idea, mainly for possible Salmonella risks...Bill

how about boiled chicken ?

That would probably be too tough for them to eat, most foods fed are raw. I would not put chicken raw in my tank, would make a mess I think. I find myself that fish eat normally other things that grow in water so I stick to different types of worms, bug, fish, and flake food to make life easier. I find two of the best flake foods are from Ocean Nutrition....prime reef and discus flakes which my fish seem to like the best now as I feel the garlic they have in it actually does something, my fish seemed dramatically better all over just trying that discus flake on its own with no other foods. There are a lot of recipes on here though from some proven discus keepers.

David

Registered Member

I thought it would be too tough as well. Raw chicken and 80+ water can't be a good combo. One of the reasons I heard that Turkey heart never made it big...Bill

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    I thought it would be too tough as well. Raw chicken and 80+ water can't be a good combo. One of the reasons I heard that Turkey heart never made it big...Bill
    So then - why does Beefheart differ? Am I missing something ?? I mean Beef comes from a cow - that's gotta be just as messy and stinky as a chicken or turkey???

Registered Member

I guess chicken has a greater risk of Salmonella than other meats...not to say other meats can't get it...just chicken is notorious for it...Bill

I cant get mine to eat beefheart so I've given up on trying

Wendy

Wasn't Andrew Soh running trials on chicken vs the heart of beef and pork? If I remember correctly they would eat it, but it wasn't as pallatable as the others. I was awaiting the results of digestability, but then no more info. Did I dream this or did it really happen...?

I do know Mat(ShinShin) has feed ground turkey breast.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Banned

Smile Re: can chicken be feed?

I would use turkey over chicken unless you are grinding it yourself. Why bother doing it yourself, when you can buy ground 99% fat free turkey breast cheap. It is a good source of protein for discus. I have feed it straight to fry, or subbed it for BH in a mix. Salmonella is not an issue for the discus, only us. Just wash your hands and and workspace as you would if you were making fried chicken, etc.

The reason I used turkey instead of the chicken was that buying it already ground, the chicken was too fine and loose compared to the turkey at Safeway.

Mat

Actually now that I think about it you could blend the turkey into a paste and use it as a binder. I havent tried it but we use it in our deli like that at times, maybe with banana and some other items.

I bet they eat anything if they are hungry enough, mine seem to eat whatever is dropped in the tank, including dead plants and veggies!

David

Whatever you choose to feed you have to clean up when they are done eating to prevent fouling of the water. Not a huge water change, but enough to suck up all the leftovers.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    I would use turkey over chicken unless you are grinding it yourself. Why bother doing it yourself, when you can buy ground 99% fat free turkey breast cheap. It is a good source of protein for discus. I have feed it straight to fry, or subbed it for BH in a mix. Salmonella is not an issue for the discus, only us. Just wash your hands and and workspace as you would if you were making fried chicken, etc.

The reason I used turkey instead of the chicken was that buying it already ground, the chicken was too fine and loose compared to the turkey at Safeway.

Mat
    I'm feeding gound trukey now. It is easy, cheap, and the fish like it. I had been using 93%(I think) fat free ground beef but I found it to contain a lot of connective tissue.

I don't worry about salmonella. My immune system is killer. (fameous last words)
    Mama Bear

I was just thinking that the healthiest meat for us, humans, is chicken. So it must be good for fish too. I might give it a try sometime.
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast