ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Carophyll Pink Question

Default Carophyll Pink Question

Got some Carophyll Pink to mix into home made Beef Heart.

Instructions it came with said 2 grams per 2 lbs of beeh heart. But then it says to throw out the mix after 7 days.

My fish can't eat 2 lbs of beefheart in 7 days.

Ok to keep feeding BH w/ CP mixed in, if BH is kept frozen, or do I need to make a smaller bacth w/ CP and only feed that mix for 7 days ?

Default Re: Carophyll Pink Question

It is also in my ocean spray cranberry juice, and surely it doesn't have a 7 day life span. Perhaps a poorly worded instruction, but I'm pretty sure you are processing your BH and freezing it the same day.

If all else fails mix shrimp in your beefheart, or salmon. natural color enhancers.
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

cut the receipe in half

Hi,
    Just curious but why would you want to add Carophyll Pink to your Discus Diet...That pigment is easy to use too much of and can seriously over color a fish,IMO. What strains are you keeping and planning to feed it too.

Just my opinion here...but unless you want your discus to glow red..That pigment isn't needed..Theres other much more safe and natural pigments to use....If you do use it...Use a small fraction of what you were instructed to do.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

perhaps it is the half life they are referring to, not that something bad will happen if ur fish consume after 7 days.

Thanks everyone.

Glowing red sounds kinda' interesting ... :-)

I already add shrimp to my mix.

Thought I'd give it a try... tough to learn if I don't try it...

I'll take your advice thought, and go light on the CP.

Thanks again !

I'd give it a try if I were you. Like you said, how else will you learn? I've heard bird breeders say that it had no ill effects on the baby birds. And THAT is the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
    Mama Bear

Sorry,
    Let me ask again, what strains will you use it on?

If you still plan on using it...I think it would be a great opportunity to run a thread on..start a thread... photos of your fish before....document regularly with photo updates and keep record of dose and usage...and any problems associated...should be interesting.

Good luck,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Al I was about to do before and after on golden reds and albino yellow's,..... just need to quit being lazy and make the mix.

mcishaque,
    You only need to make what your discus will consume in 7-10 days. I only used a total of 0.2 grams of CP for my 4 discus. The inclusion rate of 2 grams/kg is what majority of people in SE Asia are using for the past decade. But feel free to experiment.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Sorry,
    Let me ask again, what strains will you use it on?

If you still plan on using it...I think it would be a great opportunity to run a thread on..start a thread... photos of your fish before....document regularly with photo updates and keep record of dose and usage...and any problems associated...should be interesting.

Good luck,
    al
    Strains: checkerboard PB, Marlbro red, Golden, albino leapord snake, blue diamond, red cover, red turk; all about 8 monthss old; that's what I have in my 3 tanks.

Was planning to feed BH once a day to all 3 tanks (I'm no pro, and have no intention of separing the reds, blues, yellows into separate tanks). So far, after a couple of days of reading, CP does not seem like it's going to shorten their lives ... so what they hey ... try it and see if the blues turn pink :-)

I put up another post where I'm having difficulty w/ my BH mix - crap is disintegrating in the water. If I can get past that, then we'll see how far I can get w/ this idea, and get the great misguided experiment on its way. I was planning to add CP and spirulina powder (read that spirulina helps w/ the blues ?) to the BH mix.

Pics and documenting is an excellent idea. Main problem is that I only have a 10 megapixel point and shoot. And colors don't come out very real on it. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be running out to get a Canon Rebel just to take fish pics. The other problem is age. Being 8 months old, I expect that their color should start deepening right about now, and will be no telling how much is due to CP and/or spiriluna and how much would have happend regardless....

But I'll be happy to report back on here from time to time. I'll use Warlock (Skip) as my baseline, since I'll be looking at the fish daily and probably will not be able to tell the difference as much as someone who drops in once every other month or so.

Thanks again for your advice/s, ya'll.
    Last edited by mcishaque; 12-15-2010 at 12:39 AM.