AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new heaters Having trouble calibrating-help

Default Re: new heaters Having trouble calibrating-help

The largest ones I have seen are 300 watts. For what's it's worth, based on my past experience with Jagers, a 300 watt Jager works as good as a 500 watt heater from anyone else.
    Darrell

Thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    The largest ones I have seen are 300 watts. For what's it's worth, based on my past experience with Jagers, a 300 watt Jager works as good as a 500 watt heater from anyone else.
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Sorry I left you hangin DL, had to leave. Those new type I haven't dealt with, so I guess I wouldn't have been able to help anyways. Glad you got it worked out though.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Yeah, couple members helped out thankfully. Couldn't call jehmco, was after hours/time difference. I was stuck.
    Jennie,

Registered Member

I also have 2 of these new models, got them from Kensfish approx. 8 months ago, originally with the intent of hooking both to a controller and doing the 2 heaters in one tank thing. I too had quite a lot of trouble calibrating them at first; it took a few days and some fiddling with the temperature rings, but they held a constant temperature of 86F after that. I now just use one 300 watt in my 90g tank (horizontally placed near the bottom) and it has performed flawlessly to date. I agree, the instructions that came with these heaters are pretty crap and were very little help, but the product itself is excellent once it is calibrated IMO. Well worth the $25 each I paid for them, as the LFS was charging almost $50 apiece for the 300 watt model.

Colin

I love them. Have 2 250's going in my 120 for summer and will replace with 2 300's when winter comes. The controller is pretty cool. It comes with a therm that attaches by suction cup to inside of tank, and it's set to stay within 1 degree diff. of 86. I also put a digital therm at the other end of tank opposite the heaters to read temp at that end, 1 degree cooler there and have a power head circulating the water to keep heat consistant. It's seemingly an odd setup but I had limitations on electrical outlets so had to keep heaters both at one end.

Quote Originally Posted by scottishbloke View Post
    I also have 2 of these new models, got them from Kensfish approx. 8 months ago, originally with the intent of hooking both to a controller and doing the 2 heaters in one tank thing. I too had quite a lot of trouble calibrating them at first; it took a few days and some fiddling with the temperature rings, but they held a constant temperature of 86F after that. I now just use one 300 watt in my 90g tank (horizontally placed near the bottom) and it has performed flawlessly to date. I agree, the instructions that came with these heaters are pretty crap and were very little help, but the product itself is excellent once it is calibrated IMO. Well worth the $25 each I paid for them, as the LFS was charging almost $50 apiece for the 300 watt model.

Colin
    Jennie,

Where can we find online the NEW Eheim Jager heaters like in pic. I assume they have 300 watt
    "Aquatic Cubed"The Ultimate Planted Discus Aquarium Project

Check out my blog that provides a centralized resource of information for aquarist interested in a well balanced ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by aquatic3 View Post
    Where can we find online the NEW Eheim Jager heaters like in pic. I assume they have 300 watt
    Both sponsors:

http://www.kensfish.com/index.html

http://www.igopro-online.com/default.asp

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottishbloke View Post

Colin
    I recently read you're not supposed to put jagers horizontal but I'd really rather not have to remember to unplug/plug them in every WC. Does anyone else do this?

I have them up vertically. Now I'm certain that this isn't the proper way of doing things... but I just leave them plugged in when I WC. My Jagers have never malfunctioned, at least not yet. On the other hand I've had two of the "new" stealth heaters crap out on me, probably because I did this.

Laziness is hard to cure.

Quote Originally Posted by fishorama View Post
    I recently read you're not supposed to put jagers horizontal but I'd really rather not have to remember to unplug/plug them in every WC. Does anyone else do this?

I keep all of mine horizontally, laying on the tank bottom. Have done this for many years.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Most, if not all, new aquarium heaters heaters have been UL certified to be fully submersible..including Jager. Therefore, you can mount them vertically or horizontally.

The glass tube should always be submersed whenever the heater is plugged in. However, the new Jager do have a safety feature that shuts them off whenever there plugged in and the glass tube is not submersed; however, I would not count on this safety feature to work on a continual basis.
    Better than to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post

The glass tube should always be submersed whenever the heater is plugged in. However, the new Jager do have a safety feature that shuts them off whenever there plugged in and the glass tube is not submersed; however, I would not count on this safety feature to work on a continual basis.
    Ditto, I always unplug them before a change anyways.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Thanks guys. I know I'll forget sometimes, not too bad in summer but it'll be cold soon. I didn't know about the unsubmerged safety, that's what liked about Stealths too.

Mine are vertical obviously by the picture. I never forget to shut them off. I didn't do the horizontal position because I wanted to be able to adjust the temp if needed.
    Jennie,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast