AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Breathing Hard and Fast

Registered Member

Default Discus Breathing Hard and Fast

This is my first post in Simply Discus and I need some help! I have a 60 gallon Tall Aquarium with 9 juvenile discus (2.5-4"). I know I'm overstocked but I intend on getting a bigger aquarium very soon. I have 2 Fluval 405 Canister filter on the aquarium, 2 bubble makers, and a titanium heater. The aquarium is planted and contains driftwood. I do two 50% water changes a week with RO/Tapwater mix. I always dechorinate with Prime or AquaSafe.

I originally had 4 discus in the tank and added 5 recently. They came through the mail and they looked healthy and active. I did not quarantine (I know I should have) and added them directly to the main tank. They were doing fine and I treated the whole tank for parasites just in case, I used Parasite Clear, as always. After 2 weeks I noticed some of the fish started breathing faster and more heavier. I was concerned that they might have a parasite infection and treated again with Parasite Clear. The next day they still seem to be breathing fast and heavy. Also, I did notice some excess slime on them. They are still eating .

On top of this problem my tank started leaking from the bottom and I used silicone on the outside to make it stop leaking. I think I'm going to go get a new tank and switch everything out but I don't want to stress the discus since they are already sick. I don't understand how this could happen since the tank is fairly new. I keep the tank on the stand it came with (Marineland). I

I'm a nursing student and classes just started and this is really stressing me out.I feel like this discus tank is taking over my life. If anyone has any advice it would greatly be appreciated. I don't know what to do at this point.

Tank parameters:

Temp: 87 F
    Nitrates: Under 10 ppm always
    Nitrites: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    pH: 6.8
    Last edited by jpancal; 08-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.

joshuajames

Default Re: Discus Breathing Hard and Fast

i would do at least 50% water changes daily until you get your new tank.get a long tank instead of a tall also. some good old fashion water changes goes a long way with sick or stressed discus.may not even need meds.good luck

Juvies breathe fast anyways. Treating just in case is a big no no, especially with Parasite Clear (shotgun medication). Its like shooting a gun in the dark with a bunch of people in front of you.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I don't think its just them breathing fast because they are young. It seems as they are breathing very heavy and deep. I watch my discus very carefully and this is a change in their normal breathing habit. I don't want to ignore it and then later this turns into a major infection of some sort. I have had bad luck in the past with my fish getting infections.

Is there any other reason they could be breathing fast?

I have been doing water changes every other day and all water parameters are normal.

Registered Member

i have a suggestions im not an expert or anything but does your ph fluculate. have you tested your tap water to see if the ph stays the same after aging it for a day. this could be a cause of heavy breathing if your ph doesnt stay the same you may need to age your water that was part of my problem when i first started or you may need more airigation hope this may help

Registered Member

my opinion is that these are juveniles, which as stated below do breath heavier than normal. If the fish are eating and not turning dark, hiding in a corner or sitting near the top then i feel they are fine. i would add some salt at 1 tablespoon per 20 litres and lower your ph very slowly to 5. At a ph of 5 if they do have something, the water will take care of it without meds

Can you get a short video clip of the fish breathing?
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Rick

I would think lowering your PH to 5 would make 50% daily water changes a real PITA for a full time nursing student (aging barrels, chemicals, etc).

I would leave the water as is and up the water changes and perhaps drop the temp down to 85 slowly and see if this helps. Make sure that the output of your canister filters is near the surface and creating some surface agitation.
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 08-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Can you get a short video clip of the fish breathing?
    I'm going to work on getting a video clip. Hopefully I will have it up soon.

I think is could be pH changes because I have been trying to lower my pH and make the water softer. I have been adding RO water to the tank to try to do this. Is is possible I'm adding to much RO water at once? How slowly should I try to lower the ph?

I just switched over to a new tank since the old one was leaking. I never want to do that again! My plants suffered a bit and don't seem to be doing so well since i left them out of water for a few hours (I put the roots in water but not the whole plant).

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm still trying to figure out the problem with my discus.
    Last edited by jpancal; 08-25-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Registered Member

Here is the link to the video clip. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKAYSQsBM1k

Quote Originally Posted by jpancal View Post
    I'm going to work on getting a video clip. Hopefully I will have it up soon.

I think is could be pH changes because I have been trying to lower my pH and make the water softer. I have been adding RO water to the tank to try to do this. Is is possible I'm adding to much RO water at once? How slowly should I try to lower the ph?

I just switched over to a new tank since the old one was leaking. I never want to do that again! My plants suffered a bit and don't seem to be doing so well since i left them out of water for a few hours (I put the roots in water but not the whole plant).

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm still trying to figure out the problem with my discus.

Why are trying to make your water softer? Do you have wild caught fish or are you trying to breed them in a community tank?
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I was trying to make the water softer because I was told that ideally that's was discus need. I have not had good luck with keeping fish. Any type of fish. I have started keeping discus for 6 months and ran into many problems. I wanted to make sure water quality was not the reason for them getting sick all the time. So I wanted to make make the water ideal for them.
    Should I not try to lower the pH or make the water softer?

joshuajames

i would not go messing with your ph.and if this is your first time with discus i would suggest making your tank bare bottom. there is a lot of work with dicus to begin with.a lot more if you are going to keep them in a planted aquarium.

Quote Originally Posted by jpancal View Post
    I was trying to make the water softer because I was told that ideally that's was discus need. I have not had good luck with keeping fish. Any type of fish. I have started keeping discus for 6 months and ran into many problems. I wanted to make sure water quality was not the reason for them getting sick all the time. So I wanted to make make the water ideal for them.
    Should I not try to lower the pH or make the water softer?
    Do not mess with your water, it does more damage than good. Constant changes in water parameters are stressful to the fish. This leads to other complications. Sort out your water and you'll be surprised.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Do not mess with your water, it does more damage than good. Constant changes in water parameters are stressful to the fish. This leads to other complications. Sort out your water and you'll be surprised.
    By any chance did you get to see my video?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast