AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planted Ripariums

Registered Member

Default Planted Ripariums

This is my very first post here. Although I do not keep discus I am pondering a setup. Right now I am deciding between a display for discus in probably a 90, or a setup for these new Gymnogeophagus that I got. Most of my display tanks are ripariums, which feature emergent aquatic plants growing in the space above the water. I think that if well-doen a riaprium could be a pretty good habitat for discus.

I include a picture here of a riparium composition that I recently put together in a 50-gallon tank.

Here's a better view fo the same tank.

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-conten...0-tank-i-m.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Planted Ripariums

dont see why u couldnt keep discus in one of them

That is an amazing setup. Can you elaborate as too what types of plants you have outside the tank? I have a planted tank but not sure yet as too which plant is called what, Lol.

You could easily keep a pair of discus in this setup providing the water is above 80 degrees?

Nice Job!!!

DiscusLoverJeff
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

I about to start my planted Discus tank and have done a lot of research in trying to find a perfect ballance system.

Check out some of my info about Systems, Aquscaping and Water Chemestry at ADMIN EDIT: Link Removed
    Last edited by pcsb23; 08-31-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Commercial
    "Aquatic Cubed"The Ultimate Planted Discus Aquarium Project

Check out my blog that provides a centralized resource of information for aquarist interested in a well balanced ecosystem.

A riparium would be a great setup for discus if you do it big enough. The difficulty is the fact that you drop the water level for the riparium and loose a lot of space for the fish. I think it would work best if you have a tank at least 24" high and preferably 30" so you have room for the discus and the emersed growth plants.

The set up itself would be great for discus. The low tech nature of ripariums lends well to discus and the plants do a lot to keep very clean water conditions. That much plant growth will suck up a lot of nutrients the discus would not like.

How are water changes with your ripariums? When I had a couple of riparum planters, water changes were awkward because without the water to support them, they would just slide down the glass.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    That is an amazing setup. Can you elaborate as too what types of plants you have outside the tank? I have a planted tank but not sure yet as too which plant is called what, Lol.

You could easily keep a pair of discus in this setup providing the water is above 80 degrees?

Nice Job!!!

DiscusLoverJeff
    Hey thanks very much. Here is the current plant list for the abovewater part.

• Hygrophila 'Siamensis'
    • Acorus gramineus Ogon
    • Acorus pusillus
    • Echinodorus NOID
    • Schismatoglottis NOID
    • Oplismenus hirtella
    • Pilea grandifolia
    • Acrostichum danaeifolium

I think that that's complete.

I would worry the discus would jump out
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member

Do discus jump? I have seen a few open top setups for discus.

yes, do a search here, "discus jumped out of tank"
    Jennie,

Jennie,

My discus tried to jump out last night .... He got spooked and darted around the tank then jumped. Luckily I had a cover so he couldn't get out. You must cover the top of the tank.

But they are not going to jump out of a tank that is only 2/3 of the way filled. And most of the time not even when it is all the way filled. Any fish might jump, but discus are so expensive, if one jumps, it is a big deal.

Registered Member

most fish will jump thats why most aquariums r covered

Quote Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
    A riparium would be a great setup for discus if you do it big enough. The difficulty is the fact that you drop the water level for the riparium and loose a lot of space for the fish. I think it would work best if you have a tank at least 24" high and preferably 30" so you have room for the discus and the emersed growth plants.

The set up itself would be great for discus. The low tech nature of ripariums lends well to discus and the plants do a lot to keep very clean water conditions. That much plant growth will suck up a lot of nutrients the discus would not like.

How are water changes with your ripariums? When I had a couple of riparum planters, water changes were awkward because without the water to support them, they would just slide down the glass.
    I with Jason, the only hurdle I see is providing enough water volume for the discus with a good water depth. A really nice 30" tall tank with water level around the 18"-20" would work nicely.

Take plenty of pics
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

I am sure that I have seen several setups for discus that were nice planted tanks with open tops and water all the way up to the top. Perhaps those people just used their less valuable fish in those displays(?).

You can actually fill a riparium all the way up to the top. The only reason that I ahve this display only 2/3 full is because I used a de-rimmed Aqueon tank and I did not think it was strong enough with water up to the top. I also sort of like the proportions better with the water level there--it makes it seem like the water surface is more expansive.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast