AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Planted Ripariums

Registered Member

Default Re: Planted Ripariums

Hey I have here what looks like a fun new plant to use as background in my 50G tank. This could be a good selection for setups with discus and other larger tanks.

I will try to pot some up in riparium planters soon and post more pictures with details.

Registered Member

Here is another really great mangrove that I plan to use in my new brackish setup, white mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa). I currently have it going in my 11-4G riparium setup but it is growing fast and getting too big for that tank. It has these great paddle-shaped rubbery leaves.

I have been growing it all along in freshwater. It will need a slow adaptation period to adjust to brackish conditions.
    Last edited by hydrophyte; 05-14-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Registered Member

This is another view of that white mangrove in its planter.

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

Very impressive!

Several technical questions ...
    1) How do you create the emersed plant area? How do you plant them and what do you have them in? How is this constructed?
    2) How do maintain the water level?

Thanks

Do you use CO2 at all? Any type of fertilizer, whether in the substrate or in the water? What time of filter system do you use? What type of lighting?

Registered Member

Hi thanks you guys. I haven't been back to this thread in a while.

Sorry the quote function is not working in this browser I'll just answer those quesitons in order.

The plants are all planted in Riparium Supply planters and trellis rafts. What do you mean by maintaining the water level? I just dumped the water in and there it was.

Ripairums do not need any extra CO2 because the plants get all they need from the air. For the most part I do not add ferts and the plants just use what is available in our hard tapwater and from fish waster, although sometimes I do dose iron. I like to use canister filters for bigger tanks and submersible power filters for smaller ones. Most of my lights are 6700K HO T5s.

I'm trying some red mangroves in my sumps..They are very different looking than those white mangroves...interesting..Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

Here's a quick picture from the new setup that I put together just the other night. This one is in a 56-gallon tank and I set it up as a high-humidity riparium. There are several plants in there that require very moist air, so I keep a tight canopy on top.

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-conten...-tank-iv-m.jpg

all those tanks are simply gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love them all. great artistic composition. well done. walt.

Registered Member

Thanks so much Walt! Really these riparium setups are pretty easy to put together.

Here's a quick picture of the 56G high humidity setup that I have been working right on the floor after I swiped the stand. I had decided that the stand was too tall. I took 4" off the top, then refinished the plywood and put it back together. I was up late last night reassembling the tank too.

I have a couple of FTS with everything all pu together again here I just need to format them and post them up.

Registered Member

lets get them formatted and posted!

Registered Member

Hey I'm working on it. I do have a couple update photos for that 56 I just need to dig them up.

In the meantime I got a couple quick shots of the Pilea grandifolia that I have going my 50G. I am going to mow this all down for cuttings tonight. I have it growing on every single trellis raft and it makes a nice effect. This is definitely my favorite riparium midground plant.

i know this post is very old but I was wondering if anyone has any place that I can buy riparium supplies as well as plants besides riparium supply thank you

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345