ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: White eye???

Registered Member

Default White eye???

one of my discus has a large white spot on the outside of his eye. it doesnt appear to be drilling into the eye, but just covering the lens. it isnt huge but noticable and the other eye has a similar but much smaller spot. the fish has been skitting around the tank and has nearly killed itself several times. the other 2 discus i have are fine. the tank is 48 gallons and has no substrate. i recently had a discus die from an internal infection/diseas that i was not able to diagnos but its white poop gave it away and the fish stopped eating and became very skinny and eventually died. Does anyone know what this could possibly be??? Please help i really need it at this point as im considering giving up discus after this because of the downhill experience :P thanks for any help you can give!

Registered Member

Default Re: White eye???

If you discus had white waste it could have been internal parasites. If no other discus show sign of white waste then they might not have the problem. Just keep an eye on them. Watch to see if they are scratching on objects because this might also be an indication of internal parasites.

I have had my discus eyes get cloudy or have white spots. This could be a bacterial problem. What you could start with is a water change and some salt.
    Follow the instruction for how much salt to add per gallon from the aquarium salt package. Sometime without using antibiotics I have had good results from frequent water changes and salt for cloudy eyes.

If you can post come pictures that could help.

Default Re: White eye???

Please fill out this questionnaire.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."