AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How to change water

Registered Member

Default How to change water

Hi all, I have a 60 gallon tank with 2 discus in it. I just started this hobby last month.

So far, I've been changing the water about 15% of it every day manually meaning that I syphoned it out manually and poored new water in using buckets.

Is there a better way to do this?

Regards
    Ziggy

Default Re: How to change water

Quote Originally Posted by kaujong View Post
    Hi all, I have a 60 gallon tank with 2 discus in it. I just started this hobby last month.

So far, I've been changing the water about 15% of it every day manually meaning that I syphoned it out manually and poored new water in using buckets.

Is there a better way to do this?

Regards
    Ziggy

This depends, will you be filling from straight tap or using aged water? What are you water parameters and what are they after 24 hours after being aerated for 24 hours?
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I siphon out into a 5 gallon bucket twice. I have a small electric pump to which I have connected 1/2 tubing and I pump the new water from my clean water bucket into my tank with the flip of a switch on a power strip. Much easier than hoisting a bucket over my tank. It empties the 5 gallons in about 2 minutes. Changing 10 gallons takes me less than 12 minutes start to finish.

Hth

Adam