ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remove nitrate??

Default remove nitrate??

Hi Folks!

I am wondering how I can remove Nitate from my discus tank. I noticed a slightly elevated reading (20ppm) the day before yesterday and I've done a thorough cleaning and have been changing 50-60% of the water everyday but it still seems to creep back up by the next day.

I have two huge sponge filters as well as a canister filter and only six 3-4" discus in a BB 55gal. I have noticed a slump in their appetites and they are also a little skittish. Other than that, nothing alarming - still bright colors and moving around the tank nicely.

Is it possible to get (and keep) an aquarium at 0ppm for nitrate or is that just crazy talk??

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Faydra; 09-13-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Faydra

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: remove nitrate??

Have you checked your tap water for mitrates? If the canister is well established it may need cleaning. If you are feeding heavily for growth the youngsters may be putting out alot of waste or possibly leaving uneatten food. I would change more water on a daily basis.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

As Chris said, check for nitrates in your tap. Otherwise, just do bigger water changes daily.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Have you checked your tap water for mitrates? If the canister is well established it may need cleaning. If you are feeding heavily for growth the youngsters may be putting out alot of waste or possibly leaving uneatten food. I would change more water on a daily basis.

Chris
    Sorry, I forgot to mention but yes, I checked my tap water and it shows zero nitrates.

I did a thorough cleaning yesterday including the canister filter. I took it apart, rinsed everything in a bucket of tank water, replaced some of the bacteria spheres as well as 60% of the water. I honestly thought that would clear it up but sure enough today the reading is back to 20ppm.

I was definetly feeding alot as they have always been heavy eaters but I cut back significantly as soon as I noticed their appetites decreasing.

If the water changes continue to not work, what else can I do??
    Faydra

One thing you can do is ensure that your kit is reading properly. Do a reading before the water change and then after the water change. If you are at 20 ppm before the water change and you do a 60% water change, immediately after the water change, you should be at 8 ppm. If not, there is something wrong with you kit (probably your kit can't be that accurate and will show 10, but that should be close enough). And then if you take a reading the next day see if it's again at 20. If so, you're gaining 12 ppm a day, which doesn't sound reasonable to me for just 6 x 4" fish in a 55 gallon unless there is tons of leftover food in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    One thing you can do is ensure that your kit is reading properly. Do a reading before the water change and then after the water change. If you are at 20 ppm before the water change and you do a 60% water change, immediately after the water change, you should be at 8 ppm. If not, there is something wrong with you kit (probably your kit can't be that accurate and will show 10, but that should be close enough). And then if you take a reading the next day see if it's again at 20. If so, you're gaining 12 ppm a day, which doesn't sound reasonable to me for just 6 x 4" fish in a 55 gallon unless there is tons of leftover food in the tank.
    I have actually done this! The kit is good - my nitrate reading went right down after I did my wc.

It's a brain teaser! Other than my fish I have two silk plants, a breeding cone, two sponge filters and nothing else. I use a turkey baster several times thru out the day when I notice any fresh "deposits" so they are not even in the tank long enough to pollute it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.....
    Faydra

Quote Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
    I have actually done this! The kit is good - my nitrate reading went right down after I did my wc.

It's a brain teaser! Other than my fish I have two silk plants, a breeding cone, two sponge filters and nothing else. I use a turkey baster several times thru out the day when I notice any fresh "deposits" so they are not even in the tank long enough to pollute it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.....

Thats crazy, so you dont even have a substrate in the tank? Its bare bottom?
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Thats crazy, so you dont even have a substrate in the tank? Its bare bottom?
    I have some slate tiles in the bottom of the tank but I lift them out everytime I do my wc and syphon the glass underneath.

I tried to go BB but my fish absolutely freaked out. The reflection or something made them so skittish they just hid in a corner and when someone would walk past the tank they would swim frantically and smash into the glass. Someone on SD recommended the tiles and as soon as I put them in, it was like I had six different fish!
    Faydra

Quote Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
    I have some slate tiles in the bottom of the tank but I lift them out everytime I do my wc and syphon the glass underneath.

I tried to go BB but my fish absolutely freaked out. The reflection or something made them so skittish they just hid in a corner and when someone would walk past the tank they would swim frantically and smash into the glass. Someone on SD recommended the tiles and as soon as I put them in, it was like I had six different fish!

Yup, thats wierd. I'd just keep busting out water changes then.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

You could try putting zeolite in your canister filter, it might keep the nitrate level down. What kind of water conditioner are you using? That could be giving you false readings.

Real Name
    Ralph

I would lose the slate tiles and go from their.
    W/C...W/C...W/C

...Ralph

Real Name
    Rick

zeolite will do nothing for nitrites......ammonia yes.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    zeolite will do nothing for nitrites......ammonia yes.
    The problem is nitrate, not nitrite and I believe zeolite absorbs all nitrogenous wastes.

Registered Member

I didn’t hear anything about the condition of your discus. If they are eating well and you’re seeing growth, keep doing what you’re doing. If you’re still concerned, throw in some live plants. Water sprite or wisteria both love to suck up nitrates. You may need stronger lighting though.

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    I didn’t hear anything about the condition of your discus. If they are eating well and you’re seeing growth, keep doing what you’re doing. If you’re still concerned, throw in some live plants. Water sprite or wisteria both love to suck up nitrates. You may need stronger lighting though.
    If you re-read the second paragraph in the first post.
    I have two huge sponge filters as well as a canister filter and only six 3-4" discus in a BB 55gal. I have noticed a slump in their appetites and they are also a little skittish. Other than that, nothing alarming - still bright colors and moving around the tank nicely.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast