AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEDE Fall Meeting

Default SEDE Fall Meeting

Instead of typing it all out I am copying and pasting the letter that was just sent out to everyone on the email distribution list. If you arean't on the list and want to be, shoot me a email or PM and I will get you on it. There is no membership necessary to come to the meeting.

Well it’s time to start planning our fall meeting of the Southeast Discus Enthusiast. The Summer meeting, our 1st, was a huge success and I am really looking forward to this next meeting. I would like to take this opportunity to again thank Marty and his wife for their hospitality. His home (fish room and Koi ponds) really provided a great location for us to come together and meet. I’m sure we will find ourselves there again in the future.

For this next meeting we are looking to go on a little road trip to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Are there discus in Tuscaloosa……………………you bet there are. Some of you met David Eaton at our first meeting. David lives in Tuscaloosa and drove over to the first meeting. Seems only fitting that we in turn go there. David also attended the NADA convention with Chad and I and it was a great pleasure getting to know him. Years ago David was into discus breeding in a really big way. I think he was supplying half of Alabama with discus. Well that may be a little bit of a exaggeration but he was producing a lot of discus. He got out of the “hobby” for a while and just recently jumped back in (into the deep end). Chad saw David’s fish room back in June and was very impressed. I think it has probably doubled since Chad saw it. Here is part of what Chad emailed me about going to David’s………

“He has a series of microscope
    slides from his previous days of discus rearing in the late 90's. He has also rubbed shoulders with
    some of the old timers, of which stories I'm sure he would love to share. He currently has 3 central systems
    up & running including a breeding & fry rearing system. He is insanely artificially raising 100's of Stendker fry.
    He has several breeders, I believe 5-6 pairs currently. This would be a highlight visit of the year.”

Do I have you interest peaked???

Chad has been talking with David about this upcoming meeting and it looks like there is really only one good date for David in October. That would be Sunday Oct 17th. So the proposal is that we get some carpools together at strategic location around town and head out to David’s around 9:00 that morning. It is about a 3 hour drive which would put us there around lunch time. We would plan on leaving to come back home around 4:00 C/T arriving back in Atlanta around 8:00.

So here is what you get. 3 hours talking and sharing about a hobby you love on the way over, seeing a premiere fish room and learning from an experience breeder and then 3 hours talking and sharing about a hobby you love on the way home. I don’t know about you but unless I call and talk with one of you guys I just don’t have anyone that wants to hear that much about discus.

We would like to get an idea of how many people think they may be able to go so David and his wife can start planning. If you could reply to this email by Sept 15 and give me a tentative yes or no that would be great. Looking forward to a great 2nd meeting. You don’t want to miss this one!!

Larry

PS If you didn’t know about it already. The Atlanta Area Aquarium Association holds two big auctions a year. The next one is coming up on Sept 19th. If you haven’t been to one of our auctions you are really missing out. There will be tropical fish and aquatic plants going up for auction that you won’t find at you local fish store. And prices are usually pretty good. And yes, there will be discus there.
    http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/auction.htm
    This link from our forum will give you an idea of what might be available.
    http://atlantaaquarium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2767

Registered Member

Default Re: SEDE Fall Meeting

I will give this a bump just so it is at the top.

Sadly I wont be able to attend, but make sure to take lots of pictures...

All SEDE peeps:
    You won't want to miss this. This I promise will be a great time.
    David Eaton has a lot to offer. Like Larry said he is very serious about artificially raising & has custom made central systems. David raised wilds & several other types in the 90's. He dealt with alot of the same people that Jerry Baer has dealt with over the years. He has extensive medical knowledge as well. Plus, he's a pretty nice guy
    Hey if you don't feel it was worth it, I'll give you your money back!!
    Chad

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Larry while at the meeting ya'll need to consider being a host club for the 2012 NADA show.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Larry while at the meeting ya'll need to consider being a host club for the 2012 NADA show.

-john
    We did that the last meeting. The decision is that Atlanta offers too much to not be in consideration! So now that we have some criteria from you we will talk about how we can present answers to all those questions.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Sounds good.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Below is a copy of the lastest email sent out to the group. If you are interested in going on this trip, give me a shout.

Larry

Wanted to send everyone a follow up to the first email. I have heard back from 10 of you and 7 have confirmed a desire to go to David’s house in Tuscaloosa for our fall meeting. I have attached a list of who has responded.

This is going to be an absolutely fantastic trip. You don’t want to miss out. Don’t let the distance keep you from going. As mentioned below, once we get a good list firmed up we can work on setting up the carpools. We can probably set some carpools up somewhere close to you like Acworth/Kennesaw, Alpharetta/Roswell, Gainesville/Duluth and Decatur/Atlanta. This will end up being a full day but not so much that you will be left needing a vacations afterwards.

If you can respond to me in the next week that would be great. It doesn’t have to be a firm commitment at this time. We just need to get an idea of how many might end up going.

Larry

One final update. Plans are set and we will be at David’s house on Sunday. There are 3 or 4 of us who live in Alabama and will be arriving at David’s individually. The remainder of us that have confirmed are coming from either the Acworth/Woodstock area or the Cumming/Gainesville/Suwanee area. Looks like we will have a group going from each location. Chad is rounding up those in the Acworth/Woodstock area and I have been in contact with those in the Cumming/Gainesville/Suwanee area. If you have not heard from one of us and are planning on going, please reply to this email. We don’t want anyone left out!!! Chad’s group will be leaving from their meet point (still to be determined) around 9:00 Sunday morning. My group will be leaving from Discover Mills off I85. We will be departing around 8:00 Sunday morning. Any questions please let me know.

Looking forward to a fabulous meeting.

Larry

MrsMoose

I had a great time , It was good to see everyone. Wow what some really nice Discus. I would love to purchase some of them . I love his setup as well , I got a few ideas for when I set my fish room up

I agree with Molly. I had a wonderful time looking at all the BEAUTIFUL fish and more so taking in all the information. Thanks to David for having us! Here are a few pictures, they were kind of hard to take because of all the glare coming off the beautiful shiny clean tanks =)

PICS COMING SOON!!

I also took a video of David's discus, but I wanted to ask for permission first before posting it.

It was indeed a great meeting. We arrived around lunch time at David's house in Tuscaloosa. After a quick tour of David's fish room we ate pizza and listened as David gave a presentation on the need and use of a microscope in the Discus fish room. David showed us slides of various worms, protozoans, flukes and other microscopic critters that could pose potential risk to our beloved discus. David also went through the treatments needed to rid our fish of these invaders. It was a excellent presentation and led to a lot of discussion. Guess I need to start shopping Ebay for a microscope. After the presentation David showed us his method of artificially raising discus. He has it down to an art. We then spent the remainder of our time back in the fish room. Quite a few of our group came away from David's "Black Warrior Hatchery" with some of David's great juvies.

On behalf of SEDE, I would like to thank David and his wife on their Southern hospitality allowing us to spend the day at their home. It was a day well spent.

I should add that those of us that came from the Metro Atlanta area spent about 7 hours in the car going to Tuscaloosa and back. Can you think of a better way to spend 7 hours in a car then talking with fellow hobbist about discus!!! The drive went by very fast.

And of course there have to be pics.................

More Pics & videos, yes videos! coming soon
    Chad

MrsMoose

Hey guys , as most of you know I am in to Koi have a couple of ponds. Almost all of my koi friends do microscopes and they are always upgrading. I can do some checking around and gather up some prices for you if you want.

more pics plz!

Unhappy Re: SEDE Fall Meeting

Must have been a great meeting. Wish I could have made the trip. Just got myself a microscope and I sure could have used some advise and instruction in its use. You Atlanta area folks are lucky to have others close by to share your hobby. Pretty lonely up here in the hills. Bummer, hope to make it next time.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast