AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Albino Blue Diamond First Spawn

Default Re: Albino Blue Diamond First Spawn

Congrats! Albino wrigglers are hard to see especially on an orange clay cone. When I switched my albino pair over to white pvc pipe to spawn on I believe the parents started paying much more attention to the eggs because they could see the eggs much better, which triggered better parenting behaviour.
    Kacey

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Congrats! Albino wrigglers are hard to see especially on an orange clay cone. When I switched my albino pair over to white pvc pipe to spawn on I believe the parents started paying much more attention to the eggs because they could see the eggs much better, which triggered better parenting behaviour.
    kacey,

I have always wonder why they seem to stay with the eggs more on a lighter cone. Thanks for confirming it. How is your albino breeding program? Are the frys attaching to the parents for you? They seem to grow so much slower and genetically weaker than the non albino strains. Anyway good luck on your breeding endeavor.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan1 View Post
    kacey,

I have always wonder why they seem to stay with the eggs more on a lighter cone. Thanks for confirming it. How is your albino breeding program? Are the frys attaching to the parents for you? They seem to grow so much slower and genetically weaker than the non albino strains. Anyway good luck on your breeding endeavor.
    Hey Dan,
    My albino female quit laying eggs long ago, though she never layed many to begin with. Aso, for reasons unknown, the male has started shooting blanks. He has been very dependable in the past, fertilizing over 90% of the eggs every time. But not anymore.
    I used foster parents to raise what albino's I have bred, which worked out very well.
    For the first couple of weeks the albino's grew slow, and seemed week, then they picked up and were as hardy ans fast growing as any other fry. There end size is smallish though, none reaching the size of their father.
    I'm raising a few intermediates now and hope to breed some back to their father or to each other.
    Kacey

Very Nice Bob.. looks great
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ashaysathe View Post
    Very Nice Bob.. looks great
    Thanks Ashay. What a first time spawn it was for these guys. On day three they went to wigglers and shortly after they decided they wanted to spawn again. After the female made her first pass on the egg screen I added another cone which they went right to and spawned again. Now I had one cone of wigglers and one of newly layed eggs. Three days later The first spawn went free swimming and the second spawn turned to wigglers. Crazy isnt it ? The following day I came home from work and ALL were gone. I was very happy how far their first and then second spawn went and who knows how it would have turned out if they werent so confused with two spawns at different stages. Im assuming they should be ready to spawn again in a day or two and obvious pairs are forming from the community tank group.

Bob

Registered Member

Update?

Real Name
    Francis

Well done Bob....those ABDs are amazing with your TLC.....love to have some of your beauties.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Problemman View Post
    Update?
    As you requested Problemman, here is an update. The pair pictured at the start of this thread are still at it. They spawn every week with some viable eggs that make it to wigglers and free swimmers although the numbers arent good enough yet to warrant lowering the water level, removing the filter or aiding in any way for the few to survive. They are young and practice makes perfect as the male seems to get a little bet every time. They are actually spawning once again as Im responding. Several other pairs have formed in the community tank and am waiting for a spawn in the community to move them to breeder tanks. All is right on track and Im expecting nice batches of viable fry around the start of winter hopefully as the group is approximately 11 months old.

Bob

Registered Member

Well I would love too get some

Registered Member

Hi Bob,

Any new developments with the ABD pairs?

Joie

Hello Joie. Im currently raising some ABD fry but havent posted yet because I want to wait until they are a decent size. It took alot of tries to get it right but patience paid off. Will post in a few weeks after they grow some as long as all goes well.

Bob

Thats great to hear Bob! Can't wait to see them!

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOBT00LS View Post
    Hello Joie. Im currently raising some ABD fry but havent posted yet because I want to wait until they are a decent size. It took alot of tries to get it right but patience paid off. Will post in a few weeks after they grow some as long as all goes well.

Bob
    Awesome! Looking forward to seeing them!

Joie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123