AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FREE SWIMMERS & WATER CHANGES

Default Re: FREE SWIMMERS & WATER CHANGES

Quote Originally Posted by alexfl73 View Post
    ok will do ...gotta figure out the best way to remove the substrate. The pair is in a tank by themsleves (20H). Unfortunately I had that tank as my "grow tank" and never really removed the substrate. I see them now cleaning a new area,so it seems like they are ready to try again. Im just not sure if taking them out to remove the substrate will disrupt their "mojo" lol...
    I would advise removing the pair if you plan to take out the substrate. Member have killed their fish by removing substrate with fish in tank. It can also cause bacteria infections to develop.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I would advise removing the pair if you plan to take out the substrate. Member have killed their fish by removing substrate with fish in tank. It can also cause bacteria infections to develop.
    I removed them and took out the substrate, kept a good 50% of the old water and put in about 50% new water (aged 6 hours, but better than tap). Ill keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by alexfl73 View Post
    I removed them and took out the substrate, kept a good 50% of the old water and put in about 50% new water (aged 6 hours, but better than tap). Ill keep you posted
    It would have been better to have extra water available and replace it all. The old water may have pathogens that were in the substrate. Keep an eye on them and watch for infection. Hope it doesn't show up but there is always that chance.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    It would have been better to have extra water available and replace it all. The old water may have pathogens that were in the substrate. Keep an eye on them and watch for infection. Hope it doesn't show up but there is always that chance.

Eddie
    i always have extra water, I have a 150G a 60G and 2 20G, so water is always available in my holding tanks. But the substrate was not stirred or removed until after the water was drained. So the 50% old water would have been the same water they've had in the tank all along. I was avoiding a PH spike and shocking the fish.

i also vacummed the substrate regulalry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12