ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: NO EGG WHITES PLEASE!

Default NO EGG WHITES PLEASE!

I have a pair who have gone as far as free swimmers. I use to have then in a breeding tank with substrate. I Removed the substrate as suggested bo ther members in an attempt to incrwase the chances of free swimmers surviving. As a result of a bare bottom tank I now do very small daily water changes to siphon out the junk that is now evident in the bottom. Before, weekly water changes use to keep my ph in the high 6's. Now i stay in the low 7's

Now comes the frustrating part. Since removing the substrate, the eggs turn white within 12 hours. They continue to lay eggs every 7 days or so, But no sooner than they lay, they start turning white. My TDS out of my tap is 90. I do not use RO as I have a low reading on my TDS. THe only diffrence is now a more stable PH at 7.2 and no substrate. No additional flow that could prevent the male from fertilizing. So ughhh!!! I m not sure what to change!! Any suggestion greatly welcomed!

Registered Member

Default Re: NO EGG WHITES PLEASE!

My max TDS is 80ppm...anything for me higher than that results in lost(white)eggs. Maybe lower the TDS a bit and see...Bill

The thing is that ive had free swimmers on about 3 occasions prior with those readings

Registered Member

Is the male doing his part?

ive seen him go over the eggs as soon as the female lays them. Several times in fact.

are white eggs so soon a result of unfertile eggs?

Registered Member

Not sure why it would cause problems. But that's why it's best if something is working, to not mess with it. Discus can be bred successfully with a gravel/sand substrate. Even with UG filters...Bill

well, i was suggested by several members to remove the gravel to help with free swimmer survival. I also noticed the free swimmers going into the gravel and the parents picking them up from the gravel.. I felt as if they were getting hurt against the gravel as the parents picked them up. So i thought it made sense