ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Cestode Photos

Default Extreme Cestode Photos

Well, although not too common, this is only the second time since keeping discus that I have ever had a run in with cestodes (tapeworm).

Indicators: Fish were pale, then dark at times. Feeding well but sometimes a few fish would go off food at different feedings. I've wormed the fish with fenbendazole flake but these are for dealing with nematodes. Tapeworms (cestodes) are effectively treated using Praziquantel.

Treatment: I dosed Praziquantel powder at 75mg per 10 gallons/24 hours. Fed the fish this morning and guess what popped out. One of the longest tapeworms I've ever seen come out of a fish. 2 fish dropped tapeworms so far.

I bet the fish will feel much better now, not carrying this stowaway. The last photo shows the head. In several of the pictures, you can see the segmented body of the tapeworm.

Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Extreme Cestode Photos

Amazing photos Eddie! Better than the ones I have seen in the books. Sure glad the med. works and the fish sure must feel better now! Hope this is the end of them.
    Barb

WOW, they must feel pounds lighter!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Amazing photos Eddie! Better than the ones I have seen in the books. Sure glad the med. works and the fish sure must feel better now! Hope this is the end of them.
    Barb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    WOW, they must feel pounds lighter!
    Definitely gotta feel better....its still going too. That thing is already >7 inches long!
    Visit Eddie's Place

your making me think of worming my guys now..Prazi is easily diluted in water?

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    Vodka is your friend

BTW Eddie, how many days are you going to wait until the second treatment?
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Wow, great pics Eddie! I was wondering, because all my animals get wormed on a regular basis, if you think fish should be too? I would think in a closed system you'd only have to do it once unless you're feeding live foods, and of course during qt'ing of new stock.

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    It is if its fine powder but as Ed mentioned, vodka will do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    Vodka is your friend

BTW Eddie, how many days are you going to wait until the second treatment?
    I'm just gonna do a 48 hour treatment. Generally 24 hours is sufficient without a follow up. Follow-up treatments are recommended for nematodes.

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Wow, great pics Eddie! I was wondering, because all my animals get wormed on a regular basis, if you think fish should be too? I would think in a closed system you'd only have to do it once unless you're feeding live foods, and of course during qt'ing of new stock.
    I do actually think they should Steve. Many would disagree but in the case of worms in fish, its not a matter of if, just when. Usually its far too late to worm heavily infested fish. Now tapeworm (cestodes) are different than nematodes and their life cycle is completely different. Usually when treating cestodes, it will be a one shot, one kill process. I generally dont treat for cestodes but I'm glad I did.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

what is the ratio/volume of vodka to the prazi??

Registered Member

Eddie...I see where you have only one worm. I have had in the past, where Discus had 3 or more worms that big hanging out. Looked like thin squids. I was shocked at the amount of worms these 6 fish expelled. Gave me the creeps looking at them dead all over the bottom of the tank. I was scared to go in with the siphon to change the water. Did not want to touch that tank! The funny thing was all the fish acted and ate fine...they just looked a bit fat before each feeding, so I hit them with some Prazipro for the helof it, and the next morning I was grossed out at what I seen...Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Eddie...I see where you have only one worm. I have had in the past, where Discus had 3 or more worms that big hanging out. Looked like thin squids. I was shocked at the amount of worms these 6 fish expelled. Gave me the creeps looking at them dead all over the bottom of the tank. I was scared to go in with the siphon to change the water. Did not want to touch that tank! The funny thing was all the fish acted and ate fine...they just looked a bit fat before each feeding, so I hit them with some Prazipro for the helof it, and the next morning I was grossed out at what I seen...Bill
    Yeah Bill, check these ones out. This is after a 100% WC and retreat. Different fish.

Visit Eddie's Place

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Aw geez Eddie, what a thing to see before I go to bed! Nightmares for me tonight for sure!
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Aw geez Eddie, what a thing to see before I go to bed! Nightmares for me tonight for sure!
    Barb
    LOL, sorry Barb...hopefully you didnt have spaghetti for dinner!
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Yea Eddie...like that!....Gross! Wait until they cover the bottom of the tank, get stuck on the sponge filters, airline...YUCK!...The fish will feel much better for sure...Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Yea Eddie...like that!....Gross! Wait until they cover the bottom of the tank, get stuck on the sponge filters, airline...YUCK!...The fish will feel much better for sure...Bill
    Glad too cause now I can actually put more size on the fish as the tapeworms are not going to be robbing any essential nutrients!

Take care

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast