ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas needed for Fish Room

Tito

Default Re: Ideas needed for Fish Room

Quote Originally Posted by pepetj View Post
    Once I got the fishroom ready for tank set-up I'll probably will. At home I have three tanks (all planted) with young adult Discus (not the best specimens but it's my learning curve) as well as another in my office.

I'm likely going with either 25gal custom made or 80 to 100gal tanks divided in four segments as to provide 20 to 25gals for each pair. Filtration and heating will be individualized: one per tank (or tank division). But that's moving too far ahead.

I need to do something with the mold and whatever is attached to the wall and floor surfaces and to solve the roofing issue.

Someone suggested using Clear Hurrican Shutters for the roof... I'll look into that.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo
    It's best breed Discus in Bare Bottom tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    It's best breed Discus in Bare Bottom tanks.
    tito.. i think he just wants help on his room.. seems to be set on the planted breeding tanks..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    tito.. i think he just wants help on his room.. seems to be set on the planted breeding tanks..
    Yes I am set on planted breeding tanks. I'm not into large scale breeding, the local market ain't that big. I doubt any fish, and that includes Discus, enjoys living in a bare bottom tank and their well-being is a prioroty for me, even if that means putting up extra work. That's another type of discussion though.

Help me solve the technicalities of getting this abandoned area into a nice fishroom.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo0

Registered Member

I have a sketch almost ready. Going to take measurements today to add it to the drawing and post it here. That way we all have a better look at the real space we are working on and figure out how the floor and walls conditions are.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Registered Member

if you plan on breeding in planted tanks you will find it much much harder in your self- plants in pots with a bare bottom tank would be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by AirCapital View Post
    if you plan on breeding in planted tanks you will find it much much harder in your self- plants in pots with a bare bottom tank would be the best of both worlds.
    +1
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Someone suggested using Clear Hurrican Shutters for the roof... I'll look into that.
    I don't know what these are ... are they made of glass? If so, will you need to worry heat build up?

What's nice about using the alley way is that you do not need to worry about water spills. :-)

While I was visiting Hong Kong, I saw an 8ft long planted aquarium with a bed of grass like plants. i.e. very short plants. It had a school of what must be hundreds, if not over a thousand cardinal tetras. WOW what a beauty!

As soon as I saw your wall, that's what I immediately envisioned.

Tim

Registered Member

I have some measurements to share: The length is 24', the width varies from 6' at the entry door area to 6'02" at the rear wall. The floor isn't leveled, any water spills will run from the rear dead end wall area to the entry door area and beyond. Thereks a U shaped channel withoin the concrete floor that runs paralell to the wall that limits the property so the floor not beeing leveled is a fact
    I confirmed that when I measured the height of the walls.

We have, roughly speaking, a 24' long, 6' wide, 8' (rear wall) to 10'.(entry door) tall space to work with.

Ikm posting from my cell phone, once I get home I'll upload some pics and the sketch.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Tito

Once I got the fishroom ready for tank set-up I'll probably will. At home I have three tanks (all planted) with young adult Discus (not the best specimens but it's my learning curve) as well as another in my office.

I'm likely going with either 25gal custom made or 80 to 100gal tanks divided in four segments as to provide 20 to 25gals for each pair. Filtration and heating will be individualized: one per tank (or tank division). But that's moving too far ahead.

I need to do something with the mold and whatever is attached to the wall and floor surfaces and to solve the roofing issue.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo
    I called it on the dimensions.

Look you'll never get any snow there so why not just place some corrugated tin metal roofing - it's cheap and keeps the water out.

Registered Member

This sketch presents the left hand and right hand lateral walls of our Fishroom Project.

There's a 1' 06" sudden drop in the RH lateral wall height, when the decorative hollow clay brick wall begins.

Let's solve the roofing problem. I never have snow falling down here.

As for using undulated tin sheets... I don't think it is a reasonably good aesthetical solution. So I would need other options, even if the cost rises.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    I called it on the dimensions.

Look you'll never get any snow there so why not just place some corrugated tin metal roofing - it's cheap and keeps the water out.
    I can think of 2 good reason, both were in the OP

1. he wants to be able to secure it from theft.

2. hurrcanes.

Metal roofs that comply with both of those are not cost effective. Stick building and a membrain roof would be alot cheaper.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yboat View Post
    I can think of 2 good reason, both were in the OP

1. he wants to be able to secure it from theft.

2. hurrcanes.

Metal roofs that comply with both of those are not cost effective. Stick building and a membrain roof would be alot cheaper.
    English is my second language so I can get lost with some technical terms. Can you describe what "stick building and a membrain roof" means?

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

English is my second language so I can get lost with some technical terms. Can you describe what "stick building and a membrain roof" means?

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo
    pepe, que necesita un techo fuerte. que tiene capacidad para el viento del huracán. si no, su habitación se puede dañar bajo techo

ismael
    Last edited by Skip; 10-21-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Ralph

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo
    Membrane roof is basically rubber sheathing normally used on flat roofs but this method involves a good structure and surface will require maintenance in the future.
    My original suggestion was simple metal rafters and as Tito said top it off with corrugated tin metal roofing. Simply maintenance free.

...Ralph

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Membrane roof is basically rubber sheathing normally used on flat roofs but this method involves a good structure and surface will require maintenance in the future.
    My original suggestion was simple metal rafters and as Tito said top it off with corrugated tin metal roofing. Simply maintenance free.

...Ralph

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast