AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: 155g Discus aquarium with AquaTerra 3D background (picture heavy).

Default Re: 155g Discus aquarium with AquaTerra 3D background (picture heavy).

here is mine. I done it 10 years ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! Mine is still going strong. I need to provide some updated pictures, it's been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
    Very nice! Mine is still going strong. I need to provide some updated pictures, it's been awhile.
    Great thread and awesome tank. I love the 3d backgrounds. I used the universal rocks flat sheets so my fish had more room to swim. I used spray foam to secure it to the back and seal it off. I set up my dual 280 gallon tanks with them and they are awesome. Build my LED's are great lights but you have to play around with the dimmer to get them just right. My tanks are 7ft long and my led's are only 4ft. If I have them at 50% or higher I get a lot of algae. I bought 2X 5000k reds and one other one for my gold arowana tank which I can't remember what it is. I also bought the 1ft blue lights which come on an hour before dark and go off an hour after. I am thinking about moving my discus to one of these tanks since they are on an automatic water change system. Currently my discus are in a 230 gallon bare bottom tank which really doesn't do them justice. Keep the pictures coming!

Registered Member

Please post updated photos, love the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RDFISHGUY View Post
    Great thread and awesome tank. I love the 3d backgrounds. I used the universal rocks flat sheets so my fish had more room to swim. I used spray foam to secure it to the back and seal it off. I set up my dual 280 gallon tanks with them and they are awesome. Build my LED's are great lights but you have to play around with the dimmer to get them just right. My tanks are 7ft long and my led's are only 4ft. If I have them at 50% or higher I get a lot of algae. I bought 2X 5000k reds and one other one for my gold arowana tank which I can't remember what it is. I also bought the 1ft blue lights which come on an hour before dark and go off an hour after. I am thinking about moving my discus to one of these tanks since they are on an automatic water change system. Currently my discus are in a 230 gallon bare bottom tank which really doesn't do them justice. Keep the pictures coming!
    WOW! Dual 280's?!? I would love to have just one! Build my LED's: I was able to buy a 6' model which I mounted in the canopy and covers the tank from end-to-end. Currently running at 40%. I bought their extra controller so the light fades down (set for 30 minutes) before going off and fades on gradually as well. I have separate blue led's for night time as well. Like you, they are on for about an hour after the main lights turn off.

Out here in CA we are in a severe drought, so I've scaled back my water changes to about 60% once a week. An auto-water changer sounds fantastic! Do you have a thread going here as well (with pictures of course)? Post up a link if you do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Please post updated photos, love the thread.
    Thanks for the compliment! I need to pressure wash the manzanita branches before I post some current ones.

Hello Herb! I hope all is well with you. A few years back you were kind enough to let me have some of your Manzanita drift wood when I started up this hobby in Sacramento. I'm hoping that you can let me know where I might be able to find some more of my own? Where did you harvest this? I am revamping my tank and need new driftwood as my pleco has almost eaten all of it. Your tank is looking amazing as usual and thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by SpermWhaler View Post
    Hello Herb! I hope all is well with you. A few years back you were kind enough to let me have some of your Manzanita drift wood when I started up this hobby in Sacramento. I'm hoping that you can let me know where I might be able to find some more of my own? Where did you harvest this? I am revamping my tank and need new driftwood as my pleco has almost eaten all of it. Your tank is looking amazing as usual and thanks in advance!
    Hello SpermWhaler! I apologize, as I have forgotten your name but I do remember your visit and giving you some Manzanita wood. I've had some decent luck in an area out of Auburn and up towards Foresthill and beyond. As you may know, there is currently a forest fire burning near that area so probably not the best time to be up there. I'm about due for a "refresh" of my wood for a change of scenery. If you would like to go with me sometime in July (after the fire is hopefully out) to collect some more Manzanita you're welcome to come up with me. Figure about 4 hours round trip. I have a pickup truck so we can just throw the wood in the bed. Let me know if you're up for that and we'll figure out a date, etc.

Thanks for the compliment on my tank. Just have been too busy to post updated pictures, I'll try to carve out some time over the 4th of July weekend to do an update.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    EJ

Looking forward to updated pics of your tank Herb. I absolutely love it. It is what inspired me to get back into discus and fish keeping in general.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ_B View Post
    Looking forward to updated pics of your tank Herb. I absolutely love it. It is what inspired me to get back into discus and fish keeping in general.
    Hello EJ_B, wow! Thank you very much for that compliment. Now I really feel the pressure to get some new pics posted. Do you have a "thread" going on your aquarium? I'd love to see your tank and Discus if you do! Feel free to post a link here if you like.

BTW, as an experiment, I have a proven breeding pair that last night I moved to their own 30 gallon tank with a piece of manzanita wood. I've setup some "mood" lighting and hope I have not missed the 'window' as they've already laid eggs 3 times in the last month and a half. In the main tank there is no way the fry could survive. I'll be buying a sponge filter after work to replace the hang on back filter if I get lucky and they lay eggs. They were good parents in the main tank so we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
    Hello EJ_B, wow! Thank you very much for that compliment. Now I really feel the pressure to get some new pics posted. Do you have a "thread" going on your aquarium? I'd love to see your tank and Discus if you do! Feel free to post a link here if you like.

BTW, as an experiment, I have a proven breeding pair that last night I moved to their own 30 gallon tank with a piece of manzanita wood. I've setup some "mood" lighting and hope I have not missed the 'window' as they've already laid eggs 3 times in the last month and a half. In the main tank there is no way the fry could survive. I'll be buying a sponge filter after work to replace the hang on back filter if I get lucky and they lay eggs. They were good parents in the main tank so we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed!
    I don't have a build thread yet, since I haven't started my build yet - I am refinishing the hardwood floors in my living room where the tank will be going and that going slower than expected , but once things get going I will start a thread.

Its been about 15 years or more since ive kept discus , or any fish for that matter, so I decided to start out slowly and do sort of a small scale version. I never used 3D background before so I wanted to get an idea of how that is to work with , so I got a 20 gallon tall tank with the Aquaterra Canyon rock background , with a fine gravel substrate and some larger rocks for décor. Its got 2 adult male and 3 adult female guppies, 2 albino corys and 2 khuli loaches. And a whole bunch of guppy fry. Its doing very well and I am ready to move up to Discus

Quote Originally Posted by EJ_B View Post
    I don't have a build thread yet, since I haven't started my build yet - I am refinishing the hardwood floors in my living room where the tank will be going and that going slower than expected , but once things get going I will start a thread.

Its been about 15 years or more since ive kept discus , or any fish for that matter, so I decided to start out slowly and do sort of a small scale version. I never used 3D background before so I wanted to get an idea of how that is to work with , so I got a 20 gallon tall tank with the Aquaterra Canyon rock background , with a fine gravel substrate and some larger rocks for décor. Its got 2 adult male and 3 adult female guppies, 2 albino corys and 2 khuli loaches. And a whole bunch of guppy fry. Its doing very well and I am ready to move up to Discus
    I like your plan! It has been awhile since I've posted pictures and honestly, I'm struggling a bit. Trying to get a few posted before the 4th festivities kick into high gear around here!

Here's my first effort, right hand side of the aquarium:DSC04562 1JPG.jpg

And a second one (for scale, the orange Discus is good 6 inches round and some of the Roselines are HUGE!:DSC04565 1JPG.jpg

It worked! Looks like the key was to resize the pictures to 1280 x 800. Finally found the post with that recommendation. Here's a couple more. The orange (m) and blue (f) have been moved to a 30 gallon tank and they laid eggs yesterday afternoon (pictures to follow)!

Photos and eggs from an earlier spawn:
    DSC04578JPG.jpg

DSC04580JPG.jpg

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425