ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 155g Discus aquarium with AquaTerra 3D background (picture heavy).

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 155g planted Discus aquarium with AquaTerra 3D background (picture heavy).

Quote Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
    The pink high-density foam on the bottom will lift up the background so that it is snug against the glass supports at the top of the aquarium. Obviously the pink foam will get covered by substrate.
    Did the pink form come with the background?

Default Re: 155g planted Discus aquarium with AquaTerra 3D background (picture heavy).

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Did the pink form come with the background?
    No, it did not. I exchanged some e-mails with the seller and they recommended it. It's made by Owens-Corning. I found it at a local Home Depot.

Real Name
    Pat

No, it did not. I exchanged some e-mails with the seller and they recommended it. It's made by Owens-Corning. I found it at a local Home Depot.
    Is there a product name for it? Thanks

Is there a product name for it? Thanks
    I did some searching for it and came up with this. I bought a sheet that was 1/2" thick. I couldn't find it listed on Home Depot's web site, but that is where I bought it from. It was fairly inexpensive, like under $20 if I recall correctly.

Real Name
    Pat

I did some searching for it and came up with this. I bought a sheet that was 1/2" thick. I couldn't find it listed on Home Depot's web site, but that is where I bought it from. It was fairly inexpensive, like under $20 if I recall correctly.
    Thanks, sorry you needed to research it. You have been a big help.

Thanks, sorry you needed to research it. You have been a big help.
    Not a problem, happy to help.

Hi there. Your tank looks awesome!! I am looking to do the same to my future 125 gallon tank... where did you buy the 3d background?

Quote Originally Posted by BABYJIZAY View Post
    Hi there. Your tank looks awesome!! I am looking to do the same to my future 125 gallon tank... where did you buy the 3d background?
    Thanks for the kind words! Here is a link to where I bought mine from. This place is in Oregon, I think east of Portland. Good luck with your project! Hopefully some of my methods for installing the background will work for you too!

One thing you really want to pay attention to is the fit of the background where it touches the left and right sides of the aquarium. My cuts were not exactly vertical and there are some spaces where the smaller fish like the Yoyo's and my little Red Tail shark managed to sneak behind. I was able to wedge (with a plastic knife) some brown weather stripping between the glass and the background to keep them out. Realistically, silicone sealant should be used on the sides to prevent that from happening. However, you would have to put a length of clear tubing on the tip of the silicone tube to be able to reach into that narrow of a space. That is a step I did not do and in hindsight, I should have. Oh well. Hopefully someone can learn from my mistake. If you have larger fish right from the start, then this would probably be a non-issue.

Registered Member

Looks awsome the 3d backgrounds realy do finish a tank off hope mine ends up looking as good

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDogg1 View Post
    Looks awsome the 3d backgrounds realy do finish a tank off hope mine ends up looking as good
    Where are you in your project? Looking forward to seeing your 'build' too!

Registered Member

still buying my tank and water butt arive tomoz and im awaiting a few more bits. Ill do the background friday after ive done a leak test. Then hopefully next payday ill order me plants and set up

Nice! What size aquarium and what background did you buy? Are you going to start a build journal?

Registered Member

its an ehiem scubaline 240l 48 x 16 x 22. I got the aquaterra slimline red genisis. Yeah i was thinking of doing a build diary

Excellent! I hope you decide to do a build diary. I think it's cool to see the progress. Then a year from now you can look back at how much it has changed.

Thanks Harriett! That's pretty helpful actually. Unfortunately for me, my 12 year old daughter (who is doing this "project" with dad) and I have decided we're going to have to scale back to a 135 gal. But I still may look at additional filtering anyway as I've read a lot of people are using dual filters. I have an older fluval 304 on my 47 gal tank that is too powerful for it. I'll probably swap it out with something smaller and use that as the second. Thanks again!
    Anthony

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast